Accepted International Students
(Enrollment and Arrival)
After Acceptance to the University
Admitted international students are notified by e-mail of acceptance. Soon after, a packet of information will be mailed to your home country postal address. It will include these items:
- A formal letter of acceptance
- I-20 form
- Confirmation of enrollment form
- Health and Wellness forms
- Housing forms
- Other forms that the student will need to complete the enrollment process.
Please be aware there are fees to finalize the enrollment process. The costs are $300 USD for confirmation of enrollment and a $250 USD housing deposit.
Obtaining an F-1 Student Visa
Once an international student receives the information packet, you must make an appointment with the American Embassy or Consulate in your home country to apply for an F-1 Visa. To accomplish this:
- Take your I-20, acceptance letter and copies of all documents requested by the American Embassy or Consulate to support your F-1 Visa application.
- Know that there is a fee to be paid in order to apply for an F-1 Student Visa, so please check with the American Embassy or Consulate in your country for details and any other special requirements.
- Students are also responsible for paying all SEVIS fees before going to their appointment at the American Embassy or Consulate.
You must also complete all Health and Wellness documentation and send it back to the Director of Global Learning via e-mail, so paperwork can be reviewed by the university Health and Wellness Office. Please remember you will need to bring your Health and Wellness documents and proof of any vaccines you have received. If you have not received any vaccinations, you will be required to get them upon arrival to campus.
Once your F-1 Student Visa is approved, you will be responsible for making travel arrangements to the United States.
During the first week of class, the student must provide a copy of his/her passport and I-94 card to the DSO.
Arrival to Campus
All international students must arrive to campus prior to New Student Orientation weekend, which usually takes place the third week of August each year. Please contact our office to find out the exact date you should plan to arrive.
An Alvernia University representative will meet you at the airport and bring you to main campus in Reading, Pennsylvania. All international students arriving to campus must share their travel itinerary with the Director of Global Learning so that proper pick-up is scheduled. There are several airports in the area but Alvernia University prefers international students arrive at the following airports:
Philadelphia International Airport (www.phl.org)
Harrisburg International Airport (http://www.flyhia.com/ )
Note: If you would like advice on how to pack for your new adventure, please contact the Director of Global Learning - we are happy to help!
Director of Global Engagement International Admissions
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm