The following scholarships are awarded to qualified first-year applicants:
- Shirley and Joseph Boscov Scholars Program: The Shirley and Joseph Boscov Scholars program is the premier scholarship for outstanding Berks County high school graduates who thrive in and out of the classroom. This annual $25,000 scholarship is awarded to admitted students that have at least a 3.5 cumulative high school GPA, 1100 SAT or 24 ACT (please note Alvernia is test optional for the 2023-24 academic year), strong leadership skills, and a record of community service involvement. Learn more about the program.
- Presidential Scholarship: A $24,000 scholarship for qualified recipients.
- Trustees' Scholarship: A $23,000 scholarship for qualified recipients.
- Veronica Founder's Scholarship: A $22,000 scholarship for qualified recipients.
Learn more about these scholarships by calling the Undergraduate Admissions Office at 610-796-8269 or send us an email.
The following are awarded to qualified first-year applicants. Partnership awards are given to students who enter Alvernia within one year of high school graduation. Students receiving merit scholarships (as listed above) are not eligible for Partnership Awards. Students are eligible for only one Partnership Award.
- Achievement Award: This $20,000 annual award is given to full-time students who maintain a full-time undergraduate status and meet satisfactory academic progress guidelines.
- Heritage Award: This $18,000 annual award is given to full-time students who maintain a full-time undergraduate status and meet satisfactory academic progress guidelines.
The following are awarded to qualified first-year applicants. Qualified students can receive the Early FAFSA Award, Catholic Scholarship OR Alumni Referral Award, and the Sibling Award (maximum total of $3,000 per academic year).
- Reading Collegiate Scholars Program: Select Berks County High School students are offered comprehensive scholarship support, financial and otherwise, to assist in earning a Bachelor's Degree. Full details of the program and requirements should be reviewed here.
- Early FAFSA Award: First-year students that are admitted and added Alvernia to their completed FAFSA by December 1st of their senior year. This $1,000 award is renewable pending FAFSA completion each consecutive year by March 1.
- Tuition Exchange: Tuition exchange is available for students whose parents are employed by a higher education institution that participates in the Tuition Exchange Program. This discount covers up to 100% of tuition minus any federal, state, outside funding. Students are required to pay for all other expenses including but not limited to books, fees, room and board. Tuition exchange students attending the Alvernia are required to file a FAFSA. Contact the Human Resources Office for details.
- Catholic School Award: This $1,000 award is offered to first-time, full-time freshmen graduating from a Catholic high school. It can be combined with other awards as well as incorporated into financial aid packages.
- Sibling Award: When two dependent siblings are enrolled full-time in the day academic division simultaneously, a tuition award of $1,000 will be given to each sibling. Students may be eligible for additional funding from Alvernia. Both siblings are required to meet satisfactory academic progress to be eligible.
- Alumni Referral Award: Freshman and transfer students referred by an Alvernia graduate are eligible for a $1,000 award per academic year ($500 per semester), applied each academic year. The relationship between the Alvernia alumnus and the student is not limited to just family, but also extended to friends. The alumnus must submit the referral application via this online form.
Eligible students must be referred prior to March 1st of the year before their expected enrollment (i.e. for students accepted for the Fall 2023 semester, the referral must be received prior to March 1, 2023). For students starting in the spring of 2023, the referral must be received prior to December 1, 2022. Contact the Alumni House with any questions.
Domestic Transfer Student Merit Scholarships
The following scholarships are given to qualified full-time undergraduate day students transferring from another institution of higher education who are working toward their first bachelor's degree:
- Provost Scholarship: This $21,000 scholarship is given to students who have earned a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher from all previous institutions and/or is a member of Phi Theta Kappa.
- Bernardine Scholarship: This $19,000 scholarship is given to students who have earned a cumulative GPA between 3.25 and 3.49 from all previous institutions.
- Dean Scholarship: This $17,000 scholarship is given to students who have earned a cumulative GPA between 3.0 and 3.24 from all previous institutions.
- Transfer Scholarship: This $15,000 scholarship is given to students who have earned a cumulative GPA between 2.5 and 2.99 from all previous institutions.
- Alvernia Connects with Transfers Scholarship: This $1,000 scholarship is given to students who have earned a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher from all previous institutions AND apply and submit a FASFA prior to May 1, 2022 in order to begin classes in the Fall 2022 semester. Students wishing to begin classes in the Spring 2023 semester must meet the GPA requirement, apply and submit a FASFA prior to Nov. 1, 2022.
- Reading Collegiate Scholars Transfer Program: This program awards full tuition to select qualifying transfer students from Reading Area Community College. Recipients must live in the city of Reading, have earned an Associate's Degree from RACC, maintained a GPA of 3.0 or higher, and must be enrolled full-time in the day academic division. The application for this award must be submitted by deadline.
Earn micro-scholarships to Alvernia University during high school or first two years of community college.
We partnered with RaiseMe to offer micro-scholarships that recognize your everyday achievements and allow you to start earning scholarships to Alvernia before you apply. Future high school applicants can earn up to $17,000 per year, and transfer students up to $12,000 a year, which will be part of your Alvernia University scholarship or financial aid award. You may receive even more in your scholarship or financial aid package, but the money you earn from Alvernia University on RaiseMe is the guaranteed minimum amount you will receive from AU.
To learn more about RaiseMe micro-scholarships, please review our frequently asked questions.
To get started, create an account at raise.me/join/Alvernia. Once the account is established, be sure to follow Alvernia University and add achievements to your portfolio. Get an A, add it to your portfolio. Maintain a high GPA, add it to your portfolio. Visit Alvernia's campus, add it to your portfolio. You'll be earning scholarship money to help fund your college education.
Undergraduate International Student Scholarships
For more information, please visit our International Scholarships Page.