Why Choose Alvernia?
Since 1958, Alvernia has been making its mark, first as a small college serving the local community, and today as a forward-thinking, comprehensive university attracting students from across the globe as one of only 24 Franciscan schools in the United States. The ideal of 'knowledge joined with love' is integral to everything we do and is an ethic recognized in our graduates, students and faculty.
Throughout your education at Alvernia University, you will be guided and encouraged to seek and achieve your potential through real-world learning while preparing for a lifetime of leadership and positive impact in the lives of others. We will help you discover your passion and develop what you love into lifelong professional success and personal fulfillment.
The Application Process
Simple and Straightforward
We want to make applying for admission as easy as possible for you, whether you're a first-year freshman or a student transferring from another college. Students can apply at any time after their junior year of high school. All applicants should submit the following:
- Completed online application via the Alvernia Student Portal or The Common Application
- Official high school transcript or GED
- An official report of combined SAT or ACT scores
Transfer and veteran students may need to also submit
- Transcripts from any previous higher education institutions attended
- Two letters of recommendation (required only for Alvernia’s Nursing Program applicants)
- A copy of form DD214 from military service
If you have any questions, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at 610-796-8269. Our mailing address is: Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Student Center, 400 Saint Bernardine St., Reading, PA 19607.
We welcome students from around the world. Once you have decided to apply to AU, our dedicated international admissions counselor will assist you through the admissions process. All international candidates should submit the following:
- An online application via either The Common Application or the Alvernia Student Portal.
- Official secondary school transcripts (or GED) and all post-secondary school transcripts
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report if English is not your first language
- World Education Services, Inc. evaluation of all transcripts
- Alvernia University Financial Statement. (Contact us if you need help obtaining this form).
Alvernia uses the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to facilitate compliance with regulations set forth by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).
Notification of Admission: International applicants are notified of a decision as soon as all credentials have been received and evaluated. By May 1, students must submit a non-refundable confirmation deposit of $300 to hold a place in the class and a $250 housing deposit to reserve a room in the residence hall. The I-20 form will not be issued until this deposit has been received.