Why Choose Alvernia?
Since 1958, Alvernia has been making its mark, first as a small college serving the local community, and today as a forward-thinking, comprehensive university attracting students from across the globe. Our mission to form ethical leaders with moral courage to do well and do good in the world is integral to everything we do - and is a valued characteristic recognized in our graduates, students and faculty.
Throughout your education at Alvernia University, you will be guided and encouraged to seek and achieve your potential through real-world learning while preparing for a lifetime of leadership and positive impact in the lives of others. We will help you discover your passion and develop what you love into lifelong professional success and personal fulfillment.
The Application Process
Simple and Straightforward
We want to make applying for admission as easy as possible for you, whether you're a first-year freshman or a student transferring from another college. Students can apply at any time after their junior year of high school. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at 610-796-8269. If you want to send documents by postal mail, our mailing address is - Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Student Center, 400 Saint Bernardine St., Reading, PA 19607.
Applying and submitting documents electronically is easiest for most students. When applying, all applicants should submit:
- Completed online application via the Alvernia Student Portal or The Common Application
- Official high school transcript or GED
- An official report of combined SAT or ACT scores
Transfer and veteran students may also be required to submit:
- Transcripts from any previous higher education institutions attended
- Two letters of recommendation (required only for Alvernia’s Nursing Program applicants)
- A copy of form DD214 from military service
We welcome students from around the world, and urge all international students to review our international undergraduate program details. Once you have decided to apply to AU, our dedicated Director of Global Engagement Sibel Ahi, will assist you through the admissions process. All international candidates must submit the following:
- An online application via either The Common Application or the Alvernia Student Portal.
- Official secondary school transcripts (or GED) and all post-secondary school transcripts
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report if English is not your first language
- World Education Services, Inc. evaluation of all transcripts
- Alvernia University Financial Statement. (Contact us if you need help obtaining this form).
Alvernia uses the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to facilitate compliance with regulations set forth by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).
Notification of Admission: International applicants are notified of a decision as soon as all credentials have been received and evaluated. By May 1, students must submit a non-refundable confirmation deposit of $300 to hold a place in the class and a $250 housing deposit to reserve a room in the residence hall. The I-20 form will not be issued until this deposit has been received.