The John R. Post Center at Reading CollegeTowne is Alvernia’s new downtown Reading facility. The dynamic extension of main campus showcases Alvernia’s student-centric approach to learning. The five-story complex brings hundreds students, faculty and staff to downtown Reading every day, nurturing economic development in the City and bringing a thriving new energy to the Penn Street corridor.
Key Features and Offerings
- John R. Post School of Engineering
The home to the university’s new John R. Post School of Engineering. Alvernia is meeting the market demand and workforce needs of the community. With state of the art labs and research facilities, these programs and the programs that will follow, will offer students experiential learning opportunities that rival programs at much larger schools because of the partnerships established with some of the largest businesses in the region and manufacturing companies in the country.
- New facilities for business and communication students
The John R. Post Center at Reading CollegeTowne is the new home for the College of Business, Communication and Leadership and adds new ways for students in the college to learn, research and engage with the community.
- The facility has been designed to be a superior teaching and learning space with flexible, modular classrooms integrated with the latest technology.
- A brand new trading floor and Bloomberg Terminal, used for a variety of learning experiences over a wide range of upper-level business courses, lends to the growth of the university’s enhanced business majors. The lab supports simulations, research and a wide variety of other business applications to provide students with an enhanced academic and real-world learning experience.
- The expanded Communication major offers leading-edge technologies through both academic coursework and collaboration with Berks Community Television (BCTV), one of the oldest and longest-serving cable access managers in the country. With a new studio and office on-site at 401 Penn, BCTV works closely with Communication Faculty, providing students with insight into the industry and offering hands-on experiences.
- The O’Pake Institute for Economic Development and Entrepreneurship
Alvernia’s O’Pake Institute for Economic Development and Entrepreneurship and its student fellows work with dozens of local businesses, some of which are on-site in the facility’s business incubator, providing support and services that can elevate aspiring and existing entrepreneurs as well as provide experiential learning opportunities for students and clients. Services are delivered through an integrated network of partners, mentors, staff and student expertise. Fields include accounting, business development, communications, digital design, engineering and marketing.
- Esports finds a home at Alvernia
A brand new arena lounge for the university’s esports team has become the hub for competitive gaming and its spectators in the region.
Offering competitive gaming in League of Legends, Overwatch, Rocket League, Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Valorant, Alvernia’s esports program allows Alvernia to play a national schedule against teams the university rarely otherwise competes against--including some larger Division I schools without leaving campus.
- Living and Learning
New modern residences provide students with a living-learning experience in the heart of downtown’s thriving Penn corridor. Shuttle service to and from campus runs on a continuous loop for easy access to classes and amenities at both locations.
- Community Hub
Community gathering spaces, lounge areas, and a Starbucks in the lobby are welcoming and open to neighbors and visitors.