Alvernia’s graduate programs are offered in an online and/or hybrid format and cannot accommodate a F-1 student visa at this time. International students looking to enroll in our online programs from their home country will need to have a tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year U.S. bachelor's degree. This degree must be from an officially recognized degree-granting institution in the country in which it operates. Students must also submit proof of English proficiency.
How and when to apply for graduate admission
- Review university admissions standards and degree program application requirements
Alvernia maintains minimum standards for consideration for admission to graduate degree programs. Review admissions standards, application materials and timelines for submitting your application for the degree program of your interest.
- Complete the Graduate Admission Application with Nonrefundable Application fee
Complete the online application for Graduate Admission.
- Fall Semester - May 1st Deadline
- Spring Semester - October 1st Deadline
Pay the application fee. Alvernia accepts credit card payment online. The application fee is not refundable under any circumstance, regardless of outcome, the date of filing, time of review, or if for whatever reason, the application is withdrawn or you are unable to enroll for class.
After you apply, you can also track the status of your application.
- Graduate degree programs: $50 application fee
- Doctor of Physical Therapy: Application through PTCAS
- Master of Science in Athletic Training: Application through ATCAS
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy for program beginning Fall 2023: Application through OTCAS (applications for MSOT program beginning Fall 2022 should be submitted via the online application for Graduate Admission)
- Have official materials sent to the Graduate and Adult Education Admissions office
Your online application is considered incomplete until all supporting materials are received. Please make sure all additional materials required by your department have been submitted. Please note, any document Alvernia receives becomes property of Alvernia and will not be returned to you.
Official Transcripts and Foreign credential evaluation
Arrange for one set of official transcripts for every college and university from which you earned a bachelor's degree or higher to be sent to Alvernia. Alvernia accepts official transcripts that are original academic credentials issued by the registrar of the institution attended, bearing the original raised or colored seal of the institution and the signature of your institution's registrar, academic official or recognized international organization. All international transcripts must be submitted in the original language accompanied by an official English translation. Translations must be literal, course-by-course complete versions of the originals. Alvernia will accept foreign credential evaluations (FCE) from any NACES member; however, we recommend using one the following agencies:
- World Education Services, Inc.
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. International Education Consultants (JS&A)
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
Foreign credit evaluations can take several weeks, so we recommend that you order the translation as early as possible. A copy of the report should be sent directly from the agency to the Graduate and Adult Education Admission office.
Official test scores
Your program may require you to have official test scores (such as GRE, GMAT, etc.) sent directly to Alvernia. Test scores must be received directly from the agency administering the test. Photocopies and faxes are not acceptable.
Additional supporting materials
See your program of interest regarding required supporting materials. These may include letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, or resume, etc. Many supporting documents are uploaded as part of the online application for admission.
International Applicants: English proficiency
International students must submit proof of English proficiency. International applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit the proof of English Proficiency. Please submit ONE of the following:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score: 79 TOEFL minimum score required. Provide the TOEFL score report not older than 2 years. Alvernia University code is 2431. Only official TOEFL scores received directly from Educational Testing Service are acceptable.
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall minimum score of 6.5 required. Provide the IELTS score report not older than 2 years. No institution code is needed.
Financial Statement/Affidavit and Passport
Applicants must also complete and submit an Alvernia University Financial Statement and Affidavit, and a copy of their passport.
- Mailing Information
Graduate & Adult Education - Admissions
400 St. Bernardine St.
Reading, PA 19607
- Contact Admissions