About Our Mission
Alvernia embodies the following Franciscan values:
- Reverence for the dignity of each individual
- Service to others in the local and global community
- Hospitality as expressed in an openness to all
- Formation of a caring community
- Education of the whole person — mind, body, heart and spirit
- Gospel-centered values.
- Reverence for all creation
- Care for the environment.
- Belief in the basic goodness of life as demonstrated through the expression of joy and optimism.
- Using the Franciscan intellectual tradition in education.
- Commitment to social justice.
- Sense of responsibility to others.
- Development of moral integrity.
Guided by Franciscan values and the ideal of “knowledge joined with love,” and rooted in the Catholic and liberal arts traditions, Alvernia is a rigorous, caring, and inclusive learning community committed to academic excellence and to being and fostering broadly educated, life-long learners; reflective professionals and engaged citizens; and ethical leaders with moral courage.
To Be a Distinctive Franciscan University, Committed to Personal and Social Transformation, Through Integrated, Community-based, Inclusive, and Ethical Learning.