Binge drinking, consuming too much alcohol too quickly can cause alcohol poisoning. This condition is serious and can lead to death if not treated promptly by a medical professional.
Know the signs of alcohol poisoning:
- Repeated, uncontrolled vomiting
- Slow or shallow breathing (Less than 13 breaths per minute or more than 8 seconds between breaths)
- Cold, clammy, bluish skin
- Unresponsive or unable to be awakened
Know what to do:
- If you notice any of these signs, call 911 and Public Safety.
- Make sure your friend is lying on his/her side to prevent choking
- Stay with your friend while waiting for help.
- DO NOT let your friend sleep it off.
Remember, Alvernia University has a medical amnesty policy. Seeking help for yourself or a friend will not lead to disciplinary actions unless you abuse the policy. Please take time to review this policy in the Student Handbook.