Established in 2014, the Reading Collegiate Scholars Program was created to increase high school graduation and college attendance rates for students living in Reading, while ensuring the success of Reading students enrolled at Alvernia University. As of the 2022-2023 academic school year, those services are being extended to students who reside within Berks County. Each year, through the generous support of donors, numbers of Berks County students will be offered a tuition-based scholarship to attend Alvernia University.
Reading Collegiate Scholars Program provides Berks County students a tuition-based scholarship to attend Alvernia University. The Reading Collegiate Scholars Program provides many first-generation students the opportunity to attend a private university and a comprehensive support system to assist in student success. There are currently 64 students enrolled at Alvernia with this scholarship.
Scholars are required to meet with staff members a certain number of times each semester to ensure they are working their way towards graduation, and are required to sign a contract outlining expectations of scholarship.
About the Reading Collegiate Scholars
Scholarship and College Readiness Programs
- College Readiness programming happens at Reading High School Mondays through Thursdays after school for two hours.
- RCSP also offers an after-school College Readiness Program at Reading High School. Alvernia University work-study students and volunteers tutor Reading High School students to assist in their academic success, knowledge of understanding, college preparation & access, career readiness preparation and much more!
- Campus visits are provided for Reading High School students throughout the year.
RCSP College Readiness Program Highlights
- Since the program's inception, Alvernia has assisted 65 scholars: 33 have graduated and 21 are still finishing their degrees. There are 44 incoming freshmen scholars for the 2022-23 academic year.
- Reading Scholars have a combined cumulative GPA of 3.25 – higher than the overall student population GPA.
- 93% of Reading Collegiate Scholars are first-generation college students.
- Alvernia supported nearly 750 students throughout the city in 2021-22. To date, more than 1,200 students have been assisted through the program.