State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)
The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) establishes a state-level reciprocity process that supports national efforts to increase the educational attainment by making state authorization of postsecondary institutions more efficient, effective, and uniform in regard to necessary and reasonable standards of practice across states; more effective in dealing with quality and integrity issues; and less costly for states and institutions and, thereby, the students they serve. For comprehensive information on SARA, please visit the website of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), the national organization responsible for coordinating the efforts of the four regional education compacts. Please see: www.nc-sara.org
Alvernia University is a SARA-participating institution, enabling the University to engage in all activities covered by SARA in states that are members of SARA without having to obtain approval from each state individually. This agreement includes activities such as internships, clinical or field work that occur in other SARA states for students enrolled in the university’s distance education or campus-based academic programs.
SARA's policies help protect students and provide benefits to member states and institutions carrying out distance education in multiple states. Alvernia University is a SARA-participating institution, enabling the university to operate in all other SARA states without having to obtain approval from each state individually. This agreement includes on-ground activities such as internships, clinical or field work experiences that occur in other SARA states for students enrolled in Alvernia’s distance education or campus-based academic programs.
Professional Licensure and Certification Disclosures
Alvernia University is approved to offer programs that may lead to licensure or certification in Pennsylvania. However, licensure requirements vary from state to state. If you are planning on seeking licensure or certification outside of Pennsylvania, it is highly recommended you contact the appropriate licensing board where you plan to be licensed prior to starting the academic program.
- Athletic Training: https://members.nata.org/gov/state/regulatory-boards/map.cfm
- Counseling: https://www.counseling.org/knowledge-center/licensure-requirements
- Counselor Education: https://www.nbcc.org/directory
- Nursing: https://www.ncsbn.org/14730.htm
- Nursing Practitioner: https://www.nursingworld.org/our-certifications/
- Occupational Therapy: https://www.nbcot.org/-/media/NBCOT/PDFs/State_Contact_List.ashx
- Physical Therapy: https://www.fsbpt.org/Free-Resources/Licensing-Authorities-Contact-Information
- Social Work: https://socialworklicensemap.com/
- Teacher Education: https://www.nasdtec.net/page/State_Directory_Map