The Master of Education in Teaching English as a Second language (M.Ed. in TESOL) is a 34-credit program designed to prepare students and professionals to teach English as a Second Language in a wide range of educational contexts, both in the U.S. and abroad.
There are two tracks:
- with Pennsylvania’s ESL Program Specialist (PK-12) certification. The certification track is for teachers who hold a PA instructional I or II or valid out-of-state ESL certificate and wish to obtain an ESL Program Specialist certification in PA.
- without PA certification. This track is for the individuals who seek teaching ESL in higher education institutions, non public educational agencies, and abroad.
- TESOL Program Mission
Guided by the Alvernia University’s principles of rigor, care and inclusiveness, we strive to prepare educators who have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to effectively and ethically teach English learning students. We aim to develop reflective practitioners committed to ongoing professional development who serve as agents of change in their educational contexts in order to empower diverse families and communities.
Next program start is August 31, 2020 and October 22, 2020.
- On campus and online formats enable students to set their own pace
- on campus in the blended format: once a week class on main campus is combined with online learning
- 11 courses include TESOL and M.Ed. coursework
- 2 capstone courses: TESOL with internship and master of education core
- Special tuition rate for the applicants from partner school districts
Read more about:
Kelly Burr, M.Ed.
Associate Director of Admissions, School of Graduate and Adult Education
610-796-8296 (phone), 610-796-8367 (fax)
Elena Lawrick, Ph.D.
TESOL Programs Coordinator, Education Department