The Master of Education in Teaching English as a Second language (M.Ed. in TESOL) is a 34-credit program designed to prepare students and professionals to teach English as a Second Language in a wide range of educational contexts, both in the U.S. and abroad.
The program is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
There are two tracks:
- with Pennsylvania’s ESL Program Specialist (PK-12) certification. The certification track is for teachers who hold a PA instructional I or II or valid out-of-state ESL certificate and wish to obtain an ESL Program Specialist certification in PA.
- without PA certification. This track is for the individuals who seek teaching ESL in higher education institutions, non public educational agencies, and abroad.
- TESOL Program Mission
Guided by the Alvernia University’s principles of rigor, care and inclusiveness, we strive to prepare educators who have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to effectively and ethically teach English learning students. We aim to develop reflective practitioners committed to ongoing professional development who serve as agents of change in their educational contexts in order to empower diverse families and communities.
The program starts on August 30 & October 21 in 2021; January 18, March 10, & July 7 in 2022.
- On campus, remote, and online formats enable students to set their own pace
- on campus in the blended format: once a week class on main campus is combined with online learning
- remote once a week class via ZOOM is combined with online learning
- 11 courses include TESOL and M.Ed. coursework
- 2 capstone courses: TESOL with internship and master of education core
- Special tuition rate for the applicants from partner school districts
Read more about:
Kelly Burr, M.Ed.
Associate Director of Graduate Admissions
610.796.8296 (phone), 610.796.8367 (fax)
Elena Lawrick, Ph.D.
Chair, Education Department