The School Principal Certification (K-12) curriculum is 21 credits and includes 360 field hours.
To qualify for the Principal Certification, a candidate should:
- Complete the 21-credit coursework. Please note that up to 6 graduate credits from another university may accepted.
- Earn a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Complete 3 years of satisfactory performance in the area of teaching certification before applying to the Pennsylvania Department of Education for Principal Certification. Please note that applicants can start working on their time during the principal certification program at Alvernia University, but it must be completed prior to the application for certification.
- MED 515 Differentiated Instruction in Inclusive Classrooms or MED 535 Counselling Children and Adolescents - 3 credits
- MED 550 Introduction to Educational Administration* - 3 credits (45 field hours)
- MED 553 The School Administrator - 3 credits (45 field hours)
- MED 610 School Law & Social Advocacy - 3 credits
- MED 611 School Finance - 3 credits (45 field hours)
- MED 650 Functions of School Supervision - 3 credits (45 field hours)
- MED 685 Principal Internship I and II - 3 credits (180 field hours)
Prior to the beginning of a course with fieldwork and/or internship hours, candidates are required to submit their current clearances including PA Criminal Record check (Act 34), PA Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151), FBI Clearance (Act 114), and TB Screening. Read more about clearances for education students here.
Please view course descriptions in the Graduate Catalog.
Kelly Burr, M.Ed.
Associate Director of Admissions, School of Graduate and Adult Education
610-796-8296 (phone), 610-796-8367 (fax)
Sister Margaret Anne Dougherty, RSM, Ph.D.
Coordinator, M.Ed. in Leadership Programs