The ESL Program Specialist Certification Program prepares K-12 educators to effectively teach culturally and linguistically diverse students. The program's comprehensive and rigorous coursework is grounded in teachers' needs and emphasizes practical applications in classroom contexts.
Next program start is March 12, 2020.
The program is designed for busy teachers. It is offered in two formats, on campus and online, which may be combined for faster completion.
- Dual program format enables students to set their own pace:
- on campus in the blended format (once a week class on main campus is combined with online learning and field hours in educational settings)
- fully online classes with field hours in educational settings
- 5 courses
- Capstone course with teaching ESL internship
- Special tuition rate for the applicants from partner school districts
This post-baccalaureate professional program leads to the certificate of English as a Second Language (ESL) Program Specialist PK-12 in Pennsylvania (CSPG 68). The certificate enables licensed teachers to provide ESL services, teach ESL or embed ESL instruction at the PK-12 grade level. A successful completion of the program is the sole requirement for obtaining the ESL certification in Pennsylvania.
Is this program only for Pennsylvania teachers? Not at all. If your goal is teaching ESL in the education agencies that don't require a PA Instructional I/II certificate with ESL Specialist credential, this program is for you! The program can also be extended to a M.Ed. in TESOL degree.
Read more about:
Kelly Burr, M.Ed.
Associate Director of Admissions, School of Graduate and Adult Education
610-796-8296 (phone), 610-796-8367 (fax)
Elena Lawrick, Ph.D.
TESOL Programs Coordinator, Education Department