Scott Ballantyne, Ed.D., PRSBA
Associate Professor of Business
Dr. Scott Ballantyne joined the faculty of the Business Department at Alvernia in August of 1999. Prior to teaching, he was a business manager in the private sector and an owner in the private sector for more than sixteen years.
He holds a doctorate in education administration from Widener University and a master in public administration from Kutztown University, but is most proud of the degree he obtained as an undergraduate accounting student at Alvernia, in 1986.
Dr. Ballantyne is the recipient of Alvernia’s 2015 Teaching Excellence Award (as nominated by students) as well as Alvernia's 2009 Christian R. & Mary F. Lindback Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching. Dr. Ballantyne was also recognized in 2009 by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) which honored him with the Teaching Excellence Award for Region Two (Pennsylvania, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia).
- Widener University, Chester, PA
Degree: Doctor of Education (ED.D.); May, 1997
- Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA
Degree: Master of Public Administration (MPA); May, 1991
- Alvernia College, Reading, PA
Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Accounting (B.A.); December, 1986
- Reading Area Community College, Reading, PA
Degree: Associate of Applied Sciences in Mgmt (A.A.S.); December, 1983
Professional Licenses & Registrations
- Licensed Agent: Accident & Health, Life and Fixed Annuities
- Pennsylvania Registered School Business Administrator (PRSBA)
- Past Licensed Securities Agent – Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, Variable Annuities (FINRA)
EPLC Policy & Leadership Fellow, Graduated: June 2007
The Education Policy and Leadership Center, Harrisburg, PA
Institute for Education Leadership, Washington, DC
EPLC Policy and Leadership Fellow program is an intensive leadership program that requires a year-long commitment and requires attendance at monthly seminars and a minimum of one national conference on leadership and/or policy.
Additional Continuing Education
Noble Schools, LLC, Houston, TX
- Employee Benefits Plans, 2018
- Noble Annuities, 2017
- Long Term Care Refresher, 2016
- Need Analysis, 2016
- Life, Health & Contracts, 2016
- Long Term Care Update, 2016
- Annuities, 2013
- Consumer Protection I, 2013
- Guide to Health Insurance, 2013
- Life & Health Insurance Principles, 2013
- Life Policies I, 2013
- Long Term Care, 2013
- Planning for Senior Needs, 2013
American College, Bryn Mawr, PA
Currently enrolled in Chartered Financial Consultant curriculum. (ChFC)
- HS 352 Financial Decisions –Retirement, 2008
- HS 328 Investments, 2003
- HS 326 Planning for Retirement Needs, 2003
- HS 322 Financial Systems in the Eco., 2003
- HS 318 Insurance & Financial Planning, 2000
- HS 321 Income Taxation, 2000
AIG/AGSI, Houston, TX
Annual completion of NASD compliance training (Series 7)
- Anti-Money Laundering for Securities, 2008
- Sales Practice Manual Certification, 2008
- FINRA Annual Compliance Meeting, 2008
- FINRA Regulatory Element Training, 2008
- FINRA 2821 Varaible Annuity Training, 2008
- Adv. Concepts in Anti-Money Laundering, 2007
- Daily Ethical Dilemmas- Code of Conduct, 2007
- Retirement Planning for Seniors, 2007
- Retirement Plan Rollovers, 2007
- Annual Compliance Meeting, 2006
- Sale of Variable Annuities to Seniors, 2006
- Life Insurance and Annuity Replacement, 2006
- Anti-Money Laundering Update, 2006
- The SEC’s New Books and Records Rules, 2006
- The New Rules for IRA Distributions, 2005
- Individual Retirement Accounts, 2005
- Electronic Communications, 2005
- Ethical Conduct in Financial Services, 2005
- NASD Annual Compliance Meeting, 2005
- NASD Regulatory Element Training, 2004
- Anti-Money Laundering Update, 2004
- Breakpoints (Mutual Funds), 2004
- Customer Identification Procedures, 2004
- Customer Communication II – Series 7, 2004
- NASD Annual Compliance Meeting, 2003
- Preventing & Detecting Money Laundering 2, 2003
- Customer Communications, 2003
- Market Conduct, 2003
- Preventing & Detecting Money Laundering, 2002
- Mutual Funds (Advanced), 2002
- Act 529 Plans & Other College Savings, 2002
- NASD S101 Regulatory Element, 2001
- Mutual Fund Switching /. 1035 Exchanges, 2001
- Variable Annuity Sales Practices, 2001
- Regulatory Compliance / Sales Standards, 2001
- Communications with the Public, 2001
National Institute of Health
Office of Human Subjects Research
Protecting Human Research Participants, 2008, 2015
Certificate # 25935
- 2015 Teaching Excellence Award from the Alvernia University Honors & Awards Committee in recognition of outstanding teaching and advising. This is a student nominated award.
- 2009 Excellence in Teaching Award from the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs for Region 2 and nominated for the 2009 International Excellence in Teaching Award.
- 2009 Lindback Distinguished Teaching Award from the Christian R. & Mary F. Lindback Foundation presented for excellence in teaching.
- 2004 Graduate Faculty Award for dedication to Alvernia College and serving as a role model to students.
- 2002 Alvernia College Alumni Association Ellen Frei Gruber Award for Distinguished Alumni for service to the community, the college, and the alumni association.
- 2002 Dual Career Associate of the Year for outstanding performance in the Lebo Group – AIG American General
- 2002 Top 5 Dual Career Associate – New England Region for production of category one products and services.
- 1995 PASBO Award of Achievement (Health Insurance Consortium) Awarded for innovative ideas in school business management.
- Alvernia University, Reading, PA
8/99-Present, Associate Professor–Business: 4/2005 to present
MBA Program Coordinator: 8/1999–12/2007
Department Chair – Business: 7/2003–6/2006; 8/2013-5/2016
ACBSP Initial Accreditation Coordinator: 2005–2006
Assistant Professor–Business: 8/1999–4/2005
- East Penn Financial Services, Topton, PA
8/98–Present, Owner/Registered Representative/Agent
- Fleetwood Area School District, Fleetwood, PA
11/96–8/99, Business Manager
- Oley Valley School District, Oley, PA
8/91–11/96, Director of Business and Support Services
- Antietam School District, Reading, PA
8/88–8/91, Business Manager
- Saint Clair Area School District, Saint Clair, PA
11/87–8/88, Fiscal Manager
- Blanski & Phillips, Inc., Reading, PA
Publications & Presentations
- Managing, Mentoring, and Motivating Online Course Instructors: Emerging Roles for Chairs: co-authored with Mary Schreiner and Karen Thacker. The Department Chair: Spring 2016: ISSN 1049-3255: Wiley Periodicals, Hoboken, NJ
- Leadership decision-making utilizing a strategic focus to enhance global achievement: Journal of Management and Marketing Research: September 2012: ISSN: 1941-3408, Vol 11. AABRI, Jacksonville, FL.
- Comparing the Intensity of Student Attitude and Perception Changes toward Foreign Countries from Short-Term Travel Courses:
- Co-authored book Planning in Reverse A Viable Approach to Organizational Leadership published by Rowman & Littlefield Education. ISBN: 978-1-60709-793-8. February, 2011.
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2009. Let Them In: The Case for Open Boarders By Riley, Jason L., 2008. Gotham Books, New York, NY
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2009. Beyond the Boycott: Labor Rights, Human Rights, and Transnational Activism By Seidman, Gary W., 2007. Russell Sage Foundation, New York, NY
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2009. The World's Business Cultures and How to Unlock Them By Tomain, Barry. & Nicks, Mike, 2007. Stylus Publishing, Sterling, VA
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2007. The Dragon Looks South: China and Southeast Asia in the New Century By Percival, Bronson, 2007. Greenwood/Praeger Security International, Westport, CT.
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2007. China Road: A Journey into the Future of a Rising Power By Gifford, Rob, 2007. Random House, New York, NY.
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2007. The Chinese Negotiator: How to Succeed in the World’s Largest Market. By March, Robert & Wu, Su-Hua, 2007. Kodansha Publishing, New York, NY.
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Summer, 2007. Corporate Social Responsibility and International Development: Is Business the Solution? By Hopkins, Michael, 2006. Stylus Publishing, Sterling, VA.
- Utilization of Evidenced-Based Practice by Registered Occupational Therapists: co authored with Karen Cameron et.al. Occupational Therapy International: December, 2005. OTI 12(3):123-136. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ
- Scholarly Book Review: MultiCultural Review: Spring, 2005. Culture from the Inside Out: Travel and Meet Yourself by Cornes, Alan, 2004. Intercultural Press, Yarmouth, ME.
- Scholarly Book Review: MultiCultural Review: Spring, 2005. How Education Ideologies Are Shaping Global Society: Intergovernmental Organizations, NGOs, and the Decline of the Nation State by Spring, Joel, 2004. Erlbaum & Associates, Mahwah, NJ.
- Scholarly Book Review: MultiCultural Review: September, 2004. The Rise of the Hispanic Market in the United States: Challenges, Dilemmas, and Opportunities for Corporate Management by Nevear, Louis, 2004. ME Sharpe, Inc., New York.
- Scholarly Book Review: MultiCultural Review: March, 2004. Diversity & Entrepreneurship: Analyzing Successful Women Entrepreneurs by Smith-Hunter, Andrea, 2003. Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham, MD.
- Teaching Cultural and Racial Understanding Through International Travel Courses: Student Perceptions Through Travel to Cuba: MultiCultural Review: December, 2003
- Berks County Schools Flirt with Healthcare Consortium, PASBO Report: May, 1994
- Construction Project Representative: An Asset to the Organization, PASBO Report: July, 1992
Socioeconomic Impact and Conditions of the Temple LNG Expansion Project Co-authored with Tufan Tiglioglu. Prepared for UGI Utilities for submission to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). August, 2007
- Student Engagement through a Student Managed Investment Program (SMIP): Grading Student Portfolio Performance: A paper presented at the Eastern Education Research Association Annual Conference in Florida. February 2018
- Mentoring, Managing and Motivating Online Course Instructors: Emerging Chair Responsibilities: A co-authored paper presented at the 33rd Academic Chairpersons Conference held in Charleston, SC. February 2016.
- Leadership decision-making utilizing a strategic focus to enhance global achievement: A paper being presented at the Academic and Business Research Institute International Conference held in San Antonio, TX. March 2012.
- Planning in Reverse: A viable approach to organizational leadership: A book presentation presented through the Lecture Series at the McGlinn Conference Center in Reading, PA on behalf of the Holleran Center for Community Engagement. November 2011.
- Implementing Planning in Reverse in Strategic Leadership Courses in Business Administration, Education Administration and Public Administration: The Need for a Viable Approach to the Strategic Planning Process: A paper presented at the Academic and Business Institute International Conference held in Nashville, TN. March 2011.
- Comparing the Intensity of Student Attitude and Perception Changes toward Foreign Countries from Short-Term Travel Abroad Programs: A Preliminary Longitudinal Study: co-authored with Beth Berret, Robert Gannon and Mary Ellen Wells. This paper was presented at the Eastern Education Research Association’s Annual Conference in Florida, February 2011.
- Tenure Track Faculty Perceptions of Leadership Capacity in Adjunct Faculty: The Need to Maintain the Franciscan Identity: A presentation of a co-authored paper for the American Society of Business and Behavior Sciences 17th Annual Conference, held in Las Vegas, NV. February 2010.
- Utilizing Community Engagement to Demonstrate Excellence in Business School Programs: A presentation for the Eastern Council of Business Schools and Programs 18th Annual Conference, held at Marymount University, Arlington, VA. November 2009
- Is Consensus the Death of Leadership? The Case for Building a Culture of Change. A presentation for the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce "Executive Leadership: program held at the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce, Pottsville, PA. May, 2009
- Investigating the Need for Contingent Faculty Inclusion in Shared Governance to Maintain Faculty Leadership in the Academy. A paper co-presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 2009 Annual Conference, Sarasota, FL. February, 2009
- Is Consensus the Death of Leadership? The Case for Building a Culture of Change. A presentation for the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce "Executive Leadership" program held at Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce, Pottsville, PA. May, 2008
- Purposeful Engagement for Business Advisory Boards. A presentation for the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs 2007 annual conference in Lake Buena Vista, FL. June, 2007
- Ensuring the Availability of School Leaders for Today and Tomorrow. A paper co-authored and co-presented at the Dixon University Center on behalf of the Education Policy and Leadership Center, Harrisburg, PA. May, 2007
- Is Consensus the Death of Leadership? The Case for Building a Culture of Change. A presentation for the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce “Executive Leadership” program held at the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce, Pottsville, PA. May, 2007
- Equipment Check: Reaching Your Goals Through Financial Discipline. A presentation for the Young Women’s Future Symposium for Junior Achievement of Berks County, Inc. held at Alvernia College. October 2005.
- Aging Wisely; Living Well: Financial Planning. A presentation for senior citizens through the Senior’s College at Alvernia College. October 2004.
- Personal Management-Requirements 4, 5, & 6: Boy Scout Merit Badge Program. A presentation provided for boy scouts obtaining the Personal Management merit badge. Presented at Alvernia College. August 2004
- A Statistical Analysis of Data Involving the 21st Century Grant for the Reading School District. A paper presented to the grant directors for use in the evaluation of the grant effectiveness and continuation of funding. April, 2004.
- Governor Edward Rendell’s Plan for a New Pennsylvania: The Financial Implications of Smaller Class Sizes in Kindergarten Through Third Grade in Berks County, PA. A paper co-presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 27th Annual Conference, Clearwater, FL: February, 2004
- Education for All: More Than a Score. A paper co-presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 27th Annual Conference, Clearwater, FL: February, 2004
- Thoughts About Retirement. A workshop presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 27th Annual Conference, Clearwater, FL: February, 2004
- Managing Your Portfolio: 412i Plans and Beta Management. A presentation offered at the Healthcare MBA Weekend Forum, Alvernia College: August, 2003
- The Impact of Corporate Scandals on American Business: Corporate Structure and American Equity Markets. An Alvernia College Faculty Forum presentation at Alvernia College, Reading, PA: March, 2003
- Alternative Funding Methods for Construction and Maintenance of Pennsylvania Schools. A paper co-presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 26th Annual Conference, Hilton Head, South Carolina: February, 2003
- An Inside Look at the Economy & Politics in Cuba. A two-day seminar presented for the Alvernia College Seniors College, Alvernia College, Reading, PA: February, 2003
- The Effects of International Travel Courses on Student Understanding of Global and Racial Issues. A paper presented at the Eastern Educational Research Association 25th Annual Conference, Sarasota, Florida: February, 2002
- Section 529 Plans & 403B Plans. A presentation to Mid-East PASBO, Berks County Intermediate Unit, Reading, PA: November, 2001
- Strategic Planning for Not-for-profits. A paper presented at the Government & Not-for-profit Conference, Sheraton Reading Hotel, Wyomissing, PA: September, 2001
- Strategic Planning for Not-for-Profit Entities. A workshop presented for the Berks County Chamber of Commerce, Exide Office Building, Reading, PA: May, 2001
- What Every Board Member Needs to Know. A presentation for the Berks County Chamber of Commerce, Alvernia College, Reading, PA: March, 2001
- Is This a Hobby or a Business? A presentation for the Pennsylvania Crafter’s Guild, Berks County Intermediate Unit, Reading, PA: December, 2000
- Chief Negotiators of Bargaining Units and Collective Bargaining Outcomes. A paper presented at the Eastern Educational Research Association 23rd Annual Conference, Clearwater, Florida: February, 2000
Scott Ballantyne, Ed.D., PRSBA
Associate Professor of Business