Military badges

We're proud of our veterans and the fact that 100% of Alvernia students receive some form of financial aid. Along with Tuition Assistance and various Montgomery GI Bill® Benefits, service members can apply for federal assistance. To determine if you qualify for federal grants and/or loans, as well as state and Alvernia University assistance, you must complete your FAFSA application.

Federal Student Aid, an office of the U.S. Department of Education, has a website that contains valuable information and guidance on how to select a school, apply for admission, and to receive federal financial assistance. Other forms of assistance available to veterans include the Post 9/11 GI Bill (a.k.a. Chapter 33 Benefits) and the Yellow Ribbon Program. For resources available to military spouses, visit the website. The VA also has information on its website about educational benefits, as does the U.S. Department of Labor Veterans Employment & Training Service.

Please don't hesitate to contact the Alvernia Office of Student Financial Services with questions at or 610-796-8201. You can also contact campus certifying official Joseph Berardi at or 610-790-1982.


Military Credit

You may earn credit for some United States military training, including basic training, according to specific American Council on Education Guidelines. To have your military training credits, please forward a copy of your AARTS or SMART transcript to us. Visit's education page for a comprehensive, up-to-date listing of all applicable forms and websites. Each service will provide unofficial personal copies and send schools an official copy of your transcript at no charge. Each service branch has its own system for recording your military education and experience credits:

  • The Army uses the AARTS system, which automatically captures your academic credits from military training, and Standardized tests. The AARTS system is available to enlisted soldiers only.
  • Army Officers must use the form DD 295 (Application for Evaluation of Learning) to report their military training and experience.
Navy and Marines
  • The Navy and Marine Corps use the SMART system. This system automatically captures your training, experience and standardized test score. 
Air Force

The Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) automatically captures your training, experience and standardized test scores. Transcript information can be viewed on the CCAF website.

Coast Guard

The Coast Guard Institute (CGI) requires each service member to submit documentation of all training (except correspondence course records), along with an enrollment form, to receive a transcript.


Under most circumstances, Veterans are eligible to use their former service branches transcript program. However if you are not eligible for AARTS, SMART, CCAF, or CGI systems, you will need to fill out form DD-295 and provide your DD-214 Discharge Document to receive credit for your experience.

Veterans' Benefits

Honors Convocation 2023
VA education benefits
There are several steps to take to become a Golden Wolf.
A Veterans Day ceremony at Alvernia University.
Yellow Ribbon Program
This act provides payments and a housing allowance for veterans who served on active duty since Sept. 11, 2001.
Alvernia's Chair of Honor.
Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
Find out if you are eligible for this benefit and how to receive it.



The Department of Veterans Affairs website offers an eBenefits Gateway for veterans to address common questions about using your educational benefits. It is a suggested resource as a first-step tool to understand their processes and requirements. Please feel free to contact the Alvernia Office of Student Financial Services. Here are some additional frequently asked questions:

How do I start my G.I. Bill® benefits?

Visit the VA Certifying Official (located in the Office of Student Financial Services) to get your benefits started. The VA Certifying Official will provide information and forms to get your benefits started and answer any questions you may have about the process. Also, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs education and training webpage to explore veterans' educational benefits.

How long will it take for me to receive my benefits?

Initial processing of your application for benefits usually takes 8-10 weeks at the VA.  Once you are in the system and you verify enrollment monthly, you will receive your payment on a monthly basis.

I turned in my forms to the VA certifying official 8-10 weeks ago and did not receive my payment. What should I do?

The G.I. Bill website has an Ask a Question section for online inquiries, or you can call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.  Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 must verify enrollment each month to receive payment for that month.  Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the VA Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the VA using the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone system at 1-877-823-2378. If you have verified your enrollment and still have not received payment, call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

What are the VA certifying officials' hours at Alvernia?

The Office of Student Financial Services is generally open Mondays through Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Thursdays and Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Set up an appointment by calling the office at 610-796-8201 or email an appointment request

Do I need to complete enrollment forms each semester?

Yes. You must complete a Veteran’s Benefit Request Form (Green Sheet) each semester. It is recommended that you complete the form the same day you register for classes for the upcoming semester. After the form is complete, submit it to the VA Certifying Official and your request will be processed. Once you have completed your initial application for benefits, the green sheet is the only form you need to complete each semester.

I am Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation.  Do I have to complete the green sheet?

Yes. The VA Certifying Official provides information on your enrollment to your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. You must complete the green sheet each semester.

How much will my benefit be?

To determine your benefit, log into the VA eBenefits Gateway and select Education Benefits.

I am planning to transfer to Alvernia University from another institution. Do I need to complete any forms?

Yes. You must complete the Change of Place of Training form, VA Form 22-1995 (for veterans) or VA Form 22-5495 (for dependents). You can obtain the form by searching the VA Forms & Publications webpage.

What if I drop a course?

You should notify the VA Certifying Official immediately. The VA will be notified and your benefit will be adjusted accordingly. It is recommended that you do not drop a course until you talk to the Certifying Official. If you drop more than 6 credits while receiving the G.I. Bill, you may be required to pay back your benefit after you drop a course.

I received an F in a course. If I take it over will the VA give me my benefit?

Yes. If you receive a failing grade in a course, and the course is required for your major, the VA will give you your benefits to take it again.

I received a D in a course.  If I take it over will the VA give me my benefit?

Yes, but only if you require a C or better to continue in the program.

I am in the PA National Guard and getting Education Assistance Program (EAP) funding. What happens if I drop a course?

If you drop during the drop/add period, EAP will not pay for the course and you will be responsible for any tuition charges. If you drop or withdraw from a class after the end of the add/drop period, EAP will pay your tuition. It is recommended that you do not drop or withdraw from a course until you talk to the VA certifying Official.

I was on active duty and I am now in the National Guard (or Reserves). Should I use Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606 benefits?

You should use your Chapter 30 benefits first because that program offers more funds. After you have exhausted your 36 months of Chapter 30 benefits, you can use up to 12 months of Chapter 1606 or 1607 benefits.

I have eligibility for both Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 or 1607 benefits.  How many months of benefit may I use?

You may use up to 36 months of one benefit and 12 months of another, but not to exceed a total of 48 months. If you have questions about which benefit to use, it is recommended that you go to the Ask a Question section of the G.I. Bill website or call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

If I am separated from the National Guard or Reserves, can I use my G.I. Bill benefits?

You may be eligible to continue using your benefits after you are discharged, if you have established Chapter 1607 benefits before you are separated. You may be eligible to revert back to remaining Chapter 1606 benefits for the number of months you were deployed, plus four months. In all cases, the VA determines your eligibility. It is recommended that you contact the VA before making separation decisions.

I want to take a course that is not in my curriculum. Will the VA pay me benefits?

No. The VA only pays benefits for courses that are required by your curriculum for completion of your degree, certificate, or diploma.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Veterans Center
Veterans Center
A special place to study, socialize or relax just for our valued veteran students.