Given the extraordinary challenges confronted by the Alvernia University community during the COVID-19 pandemic, the following academic policies have been temporarily instituted for Spring and Summer 2020.
The following pass/fail option has been created for all current mod and semester courses in Spring and Summer 2020.
- Undergraduate programs: after grades have been posted, students may select an undergraduate course or undergraduate courses in a program or programs that is/are eligible for the “P” (Pass) or “F” (Fail) option. Ineligible programs are listed below. If students choose to receive a grade of “P,” important conditions apply to undergraduate courses:
- By June 5, 2020 for Spring semester-long and MOD IV courses, by June 19, 2020 for Mod A courses, by July 17, 2020 for MOD B courses and by July 24, 2020 for Mod V courses, students who wish their grade to be switched to a “P” will inform the Registrar’s Office who will change the grade.
- Neither a grade of “P,” nor a “F,” will be included in a calculation of GPA credits on a student’s transcript.
- “P” grades will be included in earned credits on a student’s transcript.
- “F” grades will not be included in earned credits on a student’s transcript.
- Courses in Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Athletic Training are ineligible and other accredited programs may elect to be ineligible for the Pass/Fail option.
- Students who are enrolled in courses that (i) satisfy related requirements for their major(s) and (ii) include a minimum progression grade requirement, are eligible to opt for the pass/fail option in those courses but the P will only satisfy the progression requirement at the discretion of the department chair.
- Students must complete the course with a grade average of 60% or higher to receive a “P” in the selected course.
- Students must acknowledge that they have carefully considered how a “P” on their transcript will affect their GPA, academic progression requirements.
- Scholarship levels will not be affected by a “P.”
- After selecting a “P,” students may revert their grade to a letter grade by contacting the Registrar’s Office which will change the grade.
- Grades of “P” or “F” are eligible for repeat/delete.
- Students who transfer to Alvernia University from other accredited academic institutions with a grade of “P” (“Pass”) in a course taken during the Spring 2020 semester will receive transfer credits at Alvernia University which will count toward progression in their major as determined by the degree granting department.
- The option to receive a grade of “I” (“Incomplete”) at the end of the semester will continue to be made available to students who have communicated with their Instructor regarding challenges in her/his course. Furthermore, the time for completion of coursework by students who request the grade of “I” will be extended beyond the usual four-week period at the option of the course instructor.The decision to grant an Incomplete will continue to be determined by the instructor in consultation with the student
- Graduate programs and classes: Programs that are graduate programs or include graduate components may, at their choice, offer the Pass/Fail option as described above in courses at or above the 500 level. Similarly, a program that is responsible for the offering of an individual course at or above the 500 level may offer a Pass/Fail option in that course.
- Those graduate programs that choose to offer such options may set the minimum grade average required to achieve a “P” but in no instance may they set a “passing” grade point average lower than 73%.