Veteran Education Benefits FAQs

The Department of Veterans Affairs website offers an eBenefits Gateway for veterans to address common questions about using your educational benefits. It is a suggested resource as a first-step tool to understand their processes and requirements. Please feel free to contact the Alvernia Office of Student Financial Services if you feel we can help you - email us or call 610-796-8201.


Alvernia also offers valuable information for veterans via it's FATV (Financial Aid TV) channel. As a proud designated Military-Friendly School, we also invite all veteran students to learn more about our campus Veteran's Center and Veteran's Club.

How do I start my G.I. Bill® Benefits?
Visit with the VA Certifying Official (located in the Office of Student Financial Services) to get your benefits started. The VA Certifying Official will provide information and forms to get your benefits started and answer any questions you may have about the process. Also, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs education and training webpage to explore veterans' educational benefits.


How long will it take for me to receive my benefits?
Initial processing of your application for benefits usually takes 8-10 weeks at the VA.  Once you are in the system and you verify enrollment monthly, you will receive your payment on a monthly basis.


I turned in my forms to the VA Certifying Official 8-10 weeks ago and did not receive my payment.  What should I do?
The G.I. Bill website has an Ask a Question section for online inquiries, or you can call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.  Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 must verify enrollment each month to receive payment for that month.  Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the VA Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the VA using the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone system at 1-877-823-2378. If you have verified your enrollment and still have not received payment, call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.


What are the VA Certifying Officials hours at Alvernia University?
The Office of Student Financial Services (Francis Hall 203) is generally open Monday through Thursday from 8am to 6pm, and Friday from 8am to 4:30pm to assist you. You are welcome to set up an appointment by calling the office at 610-796-8201 or email an appointment request


Do I need to complete enrollment forms each semester?
Yes. You must complete a Veteran’s Benefit Request Form (Green Sheet) each semester. It is recommended that you complete the form the same day you register for classes for the upcoming semester. After the form is complete, submit it to the VA Certifying Official and your request will be processed. Once you have completed your initial application for benefits, the green sheet is the only form you need to complete each semester.


I am Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation.  Do I have to complete the green sheet?
Yes. The VA Certifying Official provides information on your enrollment to your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. You must complete the green sheet each semester.


How much will my benefit be?
To determine your benefit, log into the VA eBenefits Gateway and select Education Benefits.


I am planning on transferring to Alvernia University from another institution. Do I need to complete any forms?
Yes. You must complete the Change of Place of Training form, VA Form 22-1995 (for veterans) or VA Form 22-5495 (for dependents). You can obtain the form by searching the VA Forms & Publications webpage.


What if I drop a course?
You should notify the VA Certifying Official immediately. The VA will be notified and your benefit will be adjusted accordingly. It is recommended that you do not drop a course until you talk to the Certifying Official. If you drop more than 6 credits while receiving the G.I. Bill, you may be required to pay back your benefit after you drop a course.


I received an F in a course. If I take it over will the VA give me my benefit?
Yes. If you receive a failing grade in a course, and the course is required for your major, the VA will give you your benefits to take it again.


I received a D in a course.  If I take it over will the VA give me my benefit?
Yes, but only if you require a C or better to continue in the program.


I am in the PA National Guard and getting Education Assistance Program (EAP) funding. What happens if I drop a course?
If you drop during the drop/add period, EAP will not pay for the course and you will be responsible for any tuition charges. If you drop or withdraw from a class after the end of the add/drop period, EAP will pay your tuition. It is recommended that you do not drop or withdraw from a course until you talk to the VA certifying Official.


I was on active duty and I am now in the National Guard (or Reserves). Should I use Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606 benefits?
You should use your Chapter 30 benefits first because that program offers more funds. After you have exhausted your 36 months of Chapter 30 benefits, you can use up to 12 months of Chapter 1606 or 1607 benefits.


I have eligibility for both Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 or 1607 benefits.  How many months of benefit may I use?
You may use up to 36 months of one benefit and 12 months of another, but not to exceed a total of 48 months. If you have questions about which benefit to use, it is recommended that you go to the Ask a Question section of the G.I. Bill website or call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.


If I am separated from the National Guard or Reserves, can I use my G.I. Bill benefits?
You may be eligible to continue using your benefits after you are discharged, if you have established Chapter 1607 benefits before you are separated. You may be eligible to revert back to remaining Chapter 1606 benefits for the number of months you were deployed, plus four months. In all cases, the VA determines your eligibility. It is recommended that you contact the VA before making separation decisions.


I want to take a course that is not in my curriculum. Will the VA pay me benefits?
No. The VA only pays benefits for courses that are required by your curriculum for completion of your degree, certificate, or diploma.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Veterans Benefits

Male student at laptop
Alvernia FATV
Helpful videos on a wide variety of financial aid matters.
Alvernia University Veteran Center
Veterans Center
A special place to study, socialize or relax.
Admissions counselor talks with student
Student Financial Planning
Located on the first floor of Bernardine Hall.