Frequently Asked Questions

What is the best way to contact you?

You can send us an email or give us a call at 610-796-8201. During the semester, our office is open Monday through Thursday 8:00am to 6:00pm and Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm. During the winter and summer breaks, our office is open Monday through Thursday 8:00am to 5:00pm and Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm.

What is Alvernia University's Title IV code for the FAFSA?


What is Alvernia's recommended filing date for applying for aid?

Anytime after October 1st.

Do I have to be accepted to Alvernia before I apply for financial aid?

No. You may apply before you are accepted, but you will not receive a financial aid package until you are accepted.

Does Alvernia have merit scholarships without regard to need?

Yes, merit scholarships are available to undergraduate day students. See the list of grants and scholarships that are available.

Is there financial aid for transfer students?

Yes! For information on how to apply to Alvernia as a transfer day student, go to the transfer section of the Admissions section of the site.

If I'm going to attend part-time, what programs am I eligible for?

Several. These programs include Pennsylvania State Grant, Pell Grant, and loan programs. 

What do I do after I receive my financial aid package?

Read and respond! Call us with any questions and respond by the stated deadline. If you are a new undergraduate day student, send your confirmation to the Office of Admissions as soon as possible. The Office of Student Financial Planning will help you determine what combination of loans, grants and payment plan is best for you and your family.

Will I have to send my tax return to you?

Maybe.  If Alvernia requests your tax return, we will require a Federal Tax Transcript.  We will not be able to accept a copy of the Federal 1040EZ, A or 1040 you filed.  You will need to request this document directly from the IRS and provide a copy to the Office of Student Financial Planning.  You can request this document by going online to or calling 1-800-908-9946.  You can click here for a link to the IRS Tax Transcript process.  Please review your requested documents on your myAlvernia and respond as quickly as possible.

If I want to attend Alvernia as a continuing studies (evening) student, what aid am I eligible for?

Evening students are eligible to apply for three different programs: the Pell Grant, Pennsylvania State Grant and the Stafford loans. File the FAFSA and complete a Master Promissory Note if you want a Stafford loan. Learn more about Alvernia's Accelerated Adult Education programs.

What should I do if my or my family's financial circumstances change after I apply for aid?

Don't panic. Call the Office of Student Financial Planning and we'll tell you what procedures to follow so we can help you obtain additional financial aid.

Do I have to apply for aid every year?

Yes. You must reapply each year.

How do I get my financial aid renewed? Must I make academic progress to keep my financial aid?

Yes! You must pass 24 credits per year if you are a full-time undergraduate student or 18 credits per year if you are a graduate student, in addition to maintaining a minimum grade point average to keep receiving your financial aid.

Must I pay all at once?

No. Alvernia bills students one semester at a time and you are welcome to use our installment payment plan. For more information on our payment plan, contact the Student Billing Office.

My parents/I don't want to bother filling out the FAFSA because they/I don't think we'll be eligible for anything. Should we skip it?

No, for three reasons: 1) the rules change every year; 2) Alvernia requires the form even if you only want to work on campus; and 3) you just never know what you qualify for!

Financial Aid

Flags at Campus Commons
Office of Student Financial Planning
400 Saint Bernardine Street
Bernardine Hall, Room 104
Reading, PA 19607
Phone: 610.796.8201  /  Fax: 610.796.8336