- Students will demonstrate knowledge of professional functioning and identity including the history and philosophy of professional counseling, legal, ethical and professional roles, and the importance of the American Counseling Association and all of its subdivisions and affiliations.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of multicultural characteristics and their impact on the theories and competencies of multicultural counseling.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of developmental theories; the factors affecting development including addiction; and the ethically, culturally, and developmentally appropriate strategies for wellness promotion across the lifespan.
- The student will demonstrate knowledge, skills, and ethical standards that promote healthy client career-life balance, planning, and decision making in a global economy throughout the life span.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of counseling theories, skills related to using the theories, and evidence based strategies to effectively intervene in client concerns.
- The student will participate in a group experience, demonstrate knowledge of the theoretical foundations of group counseling and group work including the factors that contribute to group effectiveness such as dynamics, therapeutic factors, ethically and culturally relevant strategies, group leaders, and group formation.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge related to the history of integrated assessment techniques, basic statistical concepts relevant to culturally and ethically sensitive testing and evaluation, methods to identify and address critical and time-sensitive clinical issues presented by clients in crisis, and the role of comprehensive assessment in clinical diagnosis.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge regarding the basic concepts of appropriate quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods research methods, skills related to the collection and analysis of empirical data, methods for conducting community needs assessments and program evaluations based on evidence-based practices, and knowledge related to ethical principles for conducting research.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge and skills related to clinical mental health counseling.