Bachelor Degree in Liberal Studies Curriculum
1. Students should declare their intention to pursue the Liberal Studies major and submit a rationale for their program of studies and the courses that will constitute it before they earn 75 credits.
2. This proposal must be approved by the two department chairs* who have agreed to sponsor the major. An advisor will be appointed from one of the departments.
3. A minimum of 15 credits must be taken in each of the two departments or programs. A minimum of 18 credits must be taken at the 300/400 level.
4. Students must complete a one credit capstone course, COL 400, supervised by their advisor.
5. All major requirements are in addition to those required by the University core. Area II courses may not be fulfilled by courses from either of the two selected disciplines.
*If the two areas of study are within the same department, then the department chair and a faculty member who teaches in one of the specific areas are asked to approve the proposal.
**A total of 123 credits including 3 credits in a human diversity course are required to complete a Bachelor’s degree. To adhere to Franciscan Values, community service hours are also required. In addition, at least 30 credits at the 300/400 level must be taken at Alvernia University.