Goals and Guidelines
- Promote and reward undergraduate Student Fellow & Faculty Scholar collaborative scholarship and creative work.
- Support Student Fellow opportunities to experience scholarship, research or creative projects as a rigorous process of professional development modeled by a Faculty Scholar.
- Provide career development opportunities for Student Fellows through workshops.
- Support opportunities for Student Fellows to experience real world learning.
- The program supports undergraduate students’ scholarly and creative projects.
- Projects will be pursued during the summer (May/Aug)
- Recommended ten-weeks, for approximately 20 hours a week
- Maximum of ten Student Fellows per summer.
- One grant per Student Fellows per summer.
- Maximum of two Student Fellows per Faculty Scholars each summer.
- Each Student Fellow will receive an award of $3,000 and free housing (room with kitchen).
- Priority will be given to applications for projects that are result oriented (publication, presentation, or creative project).
- Result can be significant progress on an ongoing Faculty Scholar led project or new student project (i.e. development and/or implementation of novel data collection, tests, assays, and analysis, data collection at X sites that are part of a larger research project; review and summary of X primary sources housed at X library).
- Student Fellows are expected to present their work.
- Presentation may focus on findings/summary of work, how work relates to larger scope of existing research, and discussion of the challenges/ issues the student dealt with in the process of generating the work.
- All Student Fellows will present their summer work at (a) the end of the summer program and (b) future events:
- Fall: meeting with Trustees and donors
- Spring: Honors Convocation and HECBC Undergraduate Research Conference
- Separate project expenses funding will be available for the execution and presentation of the project.
S.U.R.F. Program Coordinator
Dr. Erin Way
Psychology & Counseling
Upland Center 125