Virtual bingo, regional receptions and CollegeTowne tours highlight week of events
By Danielle Marino, Assistant Director of Young Alumni and Student Engagement
Alvernia has continued the celebration of Homecoming and Family Weekend for years. Last year, due to COVID-19, Homecoming was celebrated virtually with a week of events. This year, Alvernia students, faculty and staff are excited to welcome the entire university community back to campus for a week of fun-filled events Oct. 4-10.
Those who cannot travel to Reading, Pottsville or Philadelphia can still enjoy several virtual events.
"We are very excited to welcome our alumni community back to campus for a week of events to celebrate our Homecoming & Family Weekend," said Director of External Engagement, Dan Hartzman '06. "While we have enjoyed connecting virtually with so many people over the last year, nothing can compare to coming together in person to share memories and strengthen friendships. We can't wait to see our alumni and families at one or more of the planned events on our Reading campus or one of the regional receptions."
Here are some highlights for the week of Homecoming:
- Philadelphia Regional Event | Tuesday, Oct. 5 | 6 p.m.
- The Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement is hitting the road and taking Homecoming to South Philly. Join your fellow Alvernians at SouthHouse for a Happy Hour. SouthHouse is owned by alumnus Emil Notarfrancesco '05 and his brother, Anthony. This event is intended for alumni living in the greater Philadelphia area and students at the Philadelphia Campus. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Schuylkill Regional Event | Wednesday, Oct. 6 | 5:30 p.m.
- Following Tuesday night's event, the Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement will take a trip up routes 73 and 61 to celebrate with Alvernians from Schuylkill County. Alumni in the greater Schuylkill County area and students attending the Schuylkill Campus can meet at The Crimson House, owned by alumna Maureen Challenger '87 M.Ed '03. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Virtual Bingo | Thursday, Oct. 7 | 7 p.m.
- The Alvernia community asked for it, so it's back! Last year's most popular virtual event is a great way to bring Alvernians together from across the country. Bingo will once again be hosted by Nick Yando '07 and features many games and great prizes. This is a FREE event for all alumni, as well as parents, faculty and staff. Register here.
- The 5th Quarter | Saturday, Oct. 9 | 3 p.m.
- Another popular Alvernia Homecoming tradition! Join your fellow Alvernians from 3-5 p.m., under the tent near Francis Hall, for some snacks and beverages. It's a great way to wind down after the football game or get ready for the Field Hockey or Men's Soccer game. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Mass and Champagne Brunch | Sunday, Oct. 10 | 9 a.m.
- Join the Alvernia Community in worship to close out Homecoming week, either in person at the Sacred Heart Chapel or virtually via Zoom. Registration for Mass is available here. After Mass, a brunch will be held in the Francis Hall Atrium to unwind, enjoy food and mingle with the Alvernia community. Register for brunch here.
Click here for a complete list of events.