Admission requirements of the college must be met before application to the program is considered. Students accepted by the college may apply for entry into the Occupational Therapy major by meeting the criteria listed below. Qualified high school graduates admitted to the freshman year will be able to identify occupational therapy as their field of study. Maintenance of an acceptable academic record during the undergraduate phase of the program guarantees the student a place in the professional graduate phase of the program.
Minimum criteria for first-year students
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and a score of 1080 or better on the Evidenced-based Reading & Writing and the Math Sections of the SAT or a score of 22 on the ACT.
- Observation of Occupational Therapy in a practice setting is encouraged but not required.
Minimum criteria for transfer students
- GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for previous undergraduate work.
- Transfer students must achieve a grade of "B" or higher in the following related required or equivalent courses BIO 107/117, BIO 108/118 and MAT 208.
- Submit two letters of reference from academic or workplace contacts.
- No students will be accepted after Fall of junior year. (Please contact Program Director for entry level Master of Science in Occupational Therapy option)
Advancement to the Professional Graduate Phase
Alvernia University students who have successfully completed the undergraduate phase of the program including successful completion of Level II fieldwork may transition directly into the graduate phase of the program.
Advancement criteria will be:
- GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for all undergraduate work.
- Achieved a final grade of “C” or better in all occupational therapy, prerequisite, and related required courses.
- Completion of all core and undergraduate requirements.
- Submission of a portfolio of the student’s education, service, and professional accomplishments.
- Students must achieve/maintain a 3.0 GPA to continue in the professional graduate phase.
Students with a Baccalaureate Degree in a related field will be considered for admission into the entry level Master of Science in OT Program. Students with a Baccalaureate Degree in Occupational Therapy will be accepted directly into the graduate phase of the program. See course catalog for specific admissions requirements.
Students with a Baccalaureate Degree and current certification as a registered occupational therapist will be considered for admission into the Master of Science in Occupational Therapy completion program. Please refer to the Graduate and Continuing Studies Division catalog for full details regarding these programs.