ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS & APPLICATION PROCESS
To apply for the program, please submit an application through the online application system of the School of Graduate and Adult Education, which allows you to save and edit sections.
To support your online application, please prepare the following:
- $50 application fee (non-refundable). The fee is waived for the teachers from partner school districts.
- Official transcript(s). The transcript must demonstrate a minimum 3.0 GPA from all prior coursework, undergraduate (final) as well as subsequent graduate coursework.
- Valid PA Instructional Certificate I or II or out-of-state ESL certificate.
- Clearances as required by the state of Pennsylvania prior to the first course's start date.
- Three letters of recommendation from professors, employers, or supervisors familiar with your professional experiences, or from religious or community leaders. Please note that the names and email addresses are included in online application. The letters are waived for the teachers from partner school districts.
- Personal Statement (one page in length) that summarizes your professional goals relevant to teaching ESL
- Resume (may be uploaded in online application).
- Additional evidence of potential for success (e.g. academic or professional awards, special certifications, samples of scholarly or creative work, and completion of specialized examinations). This is not not required but recommended.
- Evidence of English language proficiency for international applicants whose first language is not English. Read about the application process for international students here.
Kelly Burr, M.Ed.
Associate Director of Admissions, School of Graduate and Adult Education
610-796-8296 (phone), 610-796-8367 (fax)
Elena Lawrick, Ph.D.
TESOL Programs Coordinator, Education Department