Alvernia's Homecoming & Family Weekend 2023 will take place from Oct. 13 to 15. This year's theme is Alvernia Through the Decades. Cheer on Alvernia's football, soccer and field hockey teams, and be sure to check out this year's festivities, including roller skating, glow in the dark mini golf, decades trivia, campfire karaoke and sunset tours of Francis Hall.
- Homecoming & Family Weekend T-Shirt
Pre-order your custom Homecoming & Family Weekend T-shirts for $5. They will also be available on campus all weekend for $10.
- Maroon & Gold Tailgating Package
This package includes a custom t-shirt, access to the Nonno Alby’s Food Truck pizza and one drink ticket for the Beer Garden. The price of the package is $30. We recommend purchasing the package in advance, as there will only be a limited number of packages available for purchase on the day of.
- Support Our Neighbors in Need During Homecoming & Family Weekend!
For over 30 years, Alvernia students, faculty, staff, and friends have served their community and assisted neighbors in need during the annual Turkey Drive. As we renew our commitment to students and local community members during the holiday season, please bring a non-perishable food item to Homecoming and Family Weekend.
- Tailgating Parking Lot (Lot C)
- Under the Tent next to Bernardine Hall
- Inside the Campus Commons Living Room
Unable to join us at Homecoming and Family Weekend but want to support the annual Turkey Drive? Make a gift here.
Register for Homecoming events using this link. You can register yourself and your family using the same form.
Thursday, October 12th
- Virtual Bingo – Online (Zoom) – 7 p.m.: You asked for it, so it is back! Our most popular virtual event is a great way to bring the Alvernia community together nationwide. Last year, we had alumni from 13 states join us. This is a FREE event for all alumni, parents, families, AU faculty, and staff. We will have a lot of gift card prizes – Alvernia Bookstore, Athletics Team Store, and a big Amazon card for the final game! Once you register, you will receive an email with the link to create your Bingo card and the Zoom link for the evening.
Friday, October 13th
- Young Alumni and Alvernia Student Happy Hour – Holleran Patio – 5 to 7 p.m.: This new event connects our current Alvernia students with our Young Alumni (Under 35). Enjoy food and drinks while networking with young professionals. **All attendees must be 21 to enter.**
- Men’s Soccer vs. York College – Alvernia Stadium – 7 p.m.: Come to the stadium to support the Golden Wolves as they kick off the weekend for our athletic teams. **Men’s Soccer Alumni – please consider joining us in the President’s Box at the stadium to watch the game.**
- Glow in the Dark Mini Golf – The QUAD – 7 to 11 p.m.: Play minigolf with friends and family in this unique format we wanted to bring to campus. Great fun for the whole family or suitemates! In addition, there will be an Airbrush Tattoo artist and a spin art machine to decorate a free frisbee to have fun with. Registering is unnecessary; you can come by to play whenever you are free on Friday evening.
- Campfire Karaoke – Firepit on the QUAD – 8 p.m.: What’s better than Karaoke…doing it by a campfire!! Enjoy snacks and drinks with the entire Alvernia Family (alumni, students, families, faculty, and staff), and have a blast singing your favorite songs.
Saturday, October 14th
- University Bookstore: Stop by the Bookstore (Student Center) to get your latest AU gear. Be sure to take advantage of your alumni discount! You can also check out what they offer online!
- Scavenger Hunt: Check back for details.
- Tours of The John R. Post Center at Reading CollegeTowne – Depart from Student Center Shuttle Stop – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: See the newest addition to the Reading campus: The Post Center! It is located on Penn Street in Downtown Reading and features classrooms and labs among our business, communication, leadership and healthcare programs. Meet a Golden Guide at the Student Center Shuttle Stop and head to CollegeTowne to check out Starbucks, the podcast studio, the Bloomberg Terminal and more! The shuttles will depart campus at 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and noon, returning to campus in about an hour.
- Honors Brunch- Francis Hall Atrium - 11 a.m. to noon: Were you a member of the Honors Program? Stop by to help celebrate the 25th anniversary with the program director, Dr. Victoria Williams. This informal gathering will feature a continental breakfast and enable you to catch up with classmates from the program.
- Class of 2023 Gift Dedication- Greenway Terrace Campus Entrance - 12:30 p.m.: Due to the work of our most recent graduates, we have a new entryway sign at the top of campus. Please stop by for this dedication, and even take a picture with the new sign you can print there and take with you.
- Party on the Quad – Noon to 4 p.m.: Fun and games on the quad for the entire Alvernia community. No need to sign up; stop by The Quad and check everything out while you are on campus. Activities to be present include airbrush tattoos and antique photos.
- Reading Science Center – Tent on the Quad – Noon to 2 p.m.: Our friends from the Reading Science Center will be here to show everyone how cool science can be. Watch a few demonstrations and even participate in a few hands-on activities. This is a child-friendly activity! No registration is needed.
- Athletic Alumni Games and Socials: Were you a Women’s or Men’s Lacrosse team member? How about the Women’s Basketball team? Come show off your skills with fellow alumni or watch and socialize. The teams will then gather in the Tailgating Lot (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) to share stories of how good they used to be! Check back for sign up links below:
- Women’s Lacrosse
- Men’s Lacrosse
- Women’s Basketball
- Football Tailgating – Lot C – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Join us to socialize and enjoy your favorite pre-game meals and snacks prior to the Noon kick-off for football. This growing Alvernia tradition has quickly become a popular place to gather with fellow Golden Wolves. Please be sure to stop by the alumni tent to say hi! Tailgating is open from 9 a.m. to noon. Please be sure to check out the guidelines around tailgating.
- Maroon & Gold Tailgating Package – Lot C – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: We decided to spruce up the atmosphere a little this year and offer a VIP area featuring pizza from Nonno Alby’s, owned by Massimo Grande ’07, and a Beer Garden. The VIP package costs $30 and includes the following:
- Access to the Nonno Alby’s food truck pizza
- 1 drink ticket to be redeemed at the featured Beer Garden
- A Custom Homecoming & Family Weekend T-shirt
- Beverages and Refreshments
- Live DJ, The People’s DJ, Alvernia Alum Nick Talarico ‘03
- Maroon & Gold Beer Garden – Tailgating Lot C - 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Back by popular demand, we will have a Beer Garden again, featuring all local vendors and serving our favorite, Golden Wolves Pale Lager. All guests over the age of 21 can purchase drinks in the garden. You will be asked to provide your official ID to be eligible to purchase or consume alcoholic beverages.
- Golden Wolves Football – Alvernia Stadium – 1 p.m.: Come cheer on the Golden Wolves as they take on Stevenson. If you have experienced it before, you know how exciting a great Homecoming game can be. Tickets are free to alumni this weekend if you sign up in advance using the main link. You can also purchase tickets at the stadium on game day for guests when you arrive.
- Class Reunions-Francis Hall Atrium- 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.: Spend time with classmates and other alumni at these mini-reunions of various classes. Are you a member of any of these graduating Alvernia classes – 2023, 2018, 2013, and 2008? Stop by Francis Hall for some light refreshments and drinks. Please tell us you are coming, so we can plan!
- Golden Wolves Women’s Soccer – Alvernia Stadium – 5 p.m.: Come cheer on the Alvernia Women’s Soccer team at the stadium as they take on York at 5 p.m. - No tickets are needed. **Women’s Soccer Alumni – Join us for a social in the President’s Box celebrating our Women’s Soccer alumni over the years.**
- Roller Skating Through the Decades – PEC – 6 to 10 p.m.: Tie your laces and get ready to groove! Join us for a fun night, food, and friends in the PEC. All ages are welcome for family-friendly music and activities. Roller skates are available for rental at the event.
- Decades Trivia – Student Center Dining Hall – 7 p.m.: Jump back in the time as we play various rounds of trivia! Winners will receive gift card prizes!
- Sunset Tours of Francis Hall – FH Atrium – 7 p.m.: Tour our iconic Francis Hall with our Bernardine Sisters and Alumni at sunset. Learn about the history of the building and hear the stories of those impacted by it. We will even check out the tower! You do not want to miss this unique opportunity.
- Golden Wolves Field Hockey – Alvernia Stadium – 8 p.m.: Come cheer on the Field Hockey team at the stadium as they take on cross-town rival Albright College at 8 p.m. – No tickets are needed. **Field Hockey Alumni – Join us for a social in the President’s Box celebrating our Field Hockey alumni over the years. Space is limited; we had a full house watching the women win last year!**
Sunday, October 15th
- Mass – Sacred Heart Chapel – 9 a.m.: Join the Alvernia community in worship Sunday morning at 9:30 a.m. for Mass in the Sacred Heart Chapel (460 Saint Bernardine St., Reading, PA 19607) to close out a week of Homecoming events.
- Champagne Brunch – 10:15 a.m.: Enjoy a brunch after Mass in the Francis Hall Atrium for one of our final Homecoming events. Unwind, enjoy some food, and talk with Alvernia community members.