Alvernia University has entered into an agreement with Padmashree Group of Institutions to offer a Master of Business Administration with Healthcare Emphasis to cohorts of Padmashree graduates who have successfully completed their undergraduate degrees.
The ever-evolving demands and changing complexities of our healthcare system require that healthcare professionals not only excel in their chosen specialty, they also need to possess leadership, management, entrepreneurial and financial skills. These skills are increasingly important in today’s healthcare environment.
- Provides working healthcare professional with cross-section multidisciplinary foundation in business
- Expand knowledge of healthcare market structure
- Learn skills needed to make informed business decisions to drive growth
- Learn how to leverage management, analytics, finance, risk management, leadership and business strategy to address issues and promote growth in the healthcare industry
The deadline to apply for the August 2022 cohort is August 15, 2022. A video tutorial of the application process can be found here and application instructions can be found in the Apllication Requirements and instructions at the bottom of this page.
- About the Alvernia Community
- Located Reading, Pennsylvania, United States
- Founded in 1958
- 3,000 students across 3 campuses
- Rigorous liberal arts training combined with strong technical training in many high demand fields.
- Focus on ever-growing network of experiential learning partners for real-world hands-on training
- Community Core Values in Service, Humility, Collegiality, Peacemaking and Contemplation
- Why Alvernia?
- Three consecutive years of being named a top university by the U.S. News and World Report
- Earned the Doctoral University Designation by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education
- Included in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal best colleges and university
- Washington Monthly’s ranking AU in the top ten of service-based colleges
- Recognized by the Colleges of Distinction for our models in, business education, nursing education, experiential learning, career development, equity and inclusion
- Recognized by Abound for our educational models for, Best Colleges for Adults, Best Online Colleges (North)
Alvernia Education Features
- Small Class Sizes: 12:1 student to faculty ratio
- Cohort Model: Live, learn and partner with other Padmashree graduates
- Expert Faculty: Instruction from practitioners, administrators, and faculty with first-hand executive experience
- Supportive and Caring Environment: Students are supported through every step of the process, from
- Unique Capstone Project: The culminating executive leadership capstone synthesizes the skills and knowledge acquired throughout the program into practice
International Student Support
- Upon Arrival
- Longer orientation session featuring campus and regional tours, introduction to university services, get to know the community
- Academic Support Services
- Individual tutoring in most 100 and 200 level courses (higher level courses by advance request)
- Group study sessions
- Supplemental Instruction for selected classes
- Skill workshops in time management, note taking, test taking, academic anxiety, and more
- Academic coaching
- Writing support
- Post-Graduate Support Services
- Dedicated professional in the career center to support international students to make sure that they will have a hands-on experience during their studies and great temporary job opportunities during their OPT period.
- International Student Success Team:
- Sibel Ahi, Director of International Recruitment
- John Hepler, Director of Director of Multilingual Success
- Kevin Davy, Assistant Director of International Student Services
- 260,000 Sq. Ft facility in downtown Reading
- $20 million renovation project completed in 2021
- The facility includes:
- New home for academic programs, including business, communication, engineering and leadership
- Additional experiential learning opportunities with local industry through strategic partnerships.
- Trading lab
- Esports Arena
- TV Studio
- Business Incubator Space
- Chapel/Interfaith Prayer Room
- Residence Halls
Part 1: Online (three courses)
- COR 520: Ethics and Moral Leadership (3 credits)
- MBA 506: Economics and Finance (3 credits)
- MBA 502: Accounting for the Workplace (3 credits)
Part 2: On-Site (nine courses)
- MBA 513: Accounting for Healthcare Executives (3 credits)
- MBA 518: Managerial Communication (3 credits)
- MBA 520: Marketing Services (3 credits)
- MBA 571/NUR 570: Healthcare Informatics (3 credits)
- MBA 611: Legal Aspects of Medical Environments (3 credits)
- MBA 620: Managerial Economics (3 credits)
- MBA 630: Management Finance (3 credits)
- MBA 676: Strategic Management in Healthcare Systems (3 credits)
- MBA 680: Executive Leadership Seminar (3 credits)
***Exact Course Sequencing should be discussed with an admissions counselor
- Career Outlook and Notable Alumni
Upon graduation, students will be prepared for careers in group or individual practices, long-term care administration and healthcare facilities.
- C-Suite Healthcare Officers (CEO, COO, CFO)
- Hospital Administrator
- Clinical Manager
- Lab Facility Manager
- Skilled Care Administrator
- Director of Patient Care Services
- Dr. Charles F. Barbera MBA ’01, Chief Executive Officer, Reading Hospital (Tower Health System)
- Claire L. Mooney MBA’10, Senior Vice President/Chief Operating Officer, Penn State Health Lancaster Medical Center
- George McCracken MBA’06, VP Home Health Services, Lehigh Valley Health Network
- David Rotenberg MBA ‘04, Executive VP and Chief Clinical Officer, Caron Treatment Center
- Karen Fattore MBA’06, Manager of Social Service, Tower Health System
- Becci Shaak ‘10, Chief Financial Officer, Alina Lodge Rehab
Message from the Program Director
"What makes Alvernia University special is that each student has the commitment from every member of the Alvernia community ensuring a dedicated and positive learning experience.
We are excited to share with you the excellent MBA Emphasis in Healthcare program that is personalized to meet your career and personal goals. Through the MBA Healthcare Emphasis Program, each student will be equipped with the knowledge and tools to provide the foundation of a successful career. The courses provide a pathway for each student to learn about the many challenges of the current healthcare environment.
Professors are equipped throughout each course to mentor, coach, and facilitate an outstanding experience. Your input and engagement will be welcomed at every level. We are devoted to developing and supporting talented strong healthcare business professionals."
- Experiential Learning
- Major Health Network Partnerships: Secure real-world learning experiences with leading regional health network partners including Tower Health’s Reading Hospital, Lehigh Valley Health Network, Wellspan, Penn State Health St. Joseph Hospital
- Access to Eastern U.S Cities and Healthcare Networks: Alvernia is located in Reading, Pennsylvania and is conveniently located less than 2.5 hours from Baltimore, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C and major healthcare networks like Johns Hopkins Hospital, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and the UPMC Health System
Alvernia University’s Business Department programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) and by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. For information explaining all of the benefits of earning a degree from an ACBSP accredited program, please visit www.acbsp.org or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Requirements and Instruction
Students are eligible to be admitted to Alvernia University’s MBA with Healthcare Emphasis program when the following criteria have been met:
- Successful completion of undergraduate coursework such as BBA, BHA, BPH and BCom leading to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Completion of the graduate application for admission with supporting documentation, including a professional résumé, two letters of recommendation and a one-page personal statement.
- Start your application on our Graduate Application Portal
- First Name and Last (Given) Name
- Check your email for your temporary PIN
- Remember your password to log into your application portal as a “Returning User” to check your status or upload documents here.
- Application details:
- Degree: Master of Business Administration
- Program: Business Administration with Healthcare Emphasis
- Location: Reading
- Entry Year/Term: 2023 January
- Where did you learn about Alvernia: Partnership Program
- Do not pay the application fee—we will waive that for you!
- Application requirements:
- Recommendations: Add names and emails directly to your application. Suggestions: current or former employers, professors, or supervisors; religious or community leaders.
- Personal statement: One-page personal statement that summarizes the value of the program of graduate study for his/her personal and professional growth and development
- Professional resume. Not sure how to write a resume? Find a business resume example here. Be sure to include:
- First and Last (given) name and best way to be reached
- List any university you have attended with important classes listed if you feel they are helpful
- For in progress degree, you can list “expected graduation year”
- List any employment history in order with most recent at the top
- Add dates of If you still work there, list as “March 2021-Present”
- List your most important accomplishments and responsibilities
- If you have specific leadership experience or awards, you can highlight that in a separate section
- Especially important if job requires supervisory experience
- Skills, volunteer experience, or interests can show transferable expertise that would make you more marketable to a potential employer
- You can also add separate sections for languages spoken and computer/technology skills, if relevant
- Official transcripts from all previous postsecondary schools sent to Alvernia University, Graduate Admissions, 400 Bernardine St, Reading, PA 19607.
- Once admitted, you a $300 deposit will be required to confirm intent to attend Alvernia.