International Student Application & Proper Documentation Overview
Submit a complete application to Alvernia University along with all supporting documents. Please keep a copy of all documents submitted to Alvernia since you will be required to show them again at the American Embassy or Consulate in your country.
The application can be completed online or you can submit using a paper one. You can apply online using The Common Application.
International applicants must follow the application deadlines set by the Admissions Office.
- For students wishing to start in the spring semester (January), applications and supporting materials must be submitted before October 1st.
- For students wishing to start in the fall semester (August), applications and supporting materials must be submitted before May 1st.
Required Supporting Materials
- Official copies of all education credentials such as high school transcripts or equivalent high school completion certificate.
- Foreign Credential Equivalency Report(s) of all documents must be submitted with a copy of the original documents. Suggested agencies are below:
- World Education Services (WES) www.wes.org.
- Joseph Silny & Associates, Inc. International Education Consultants (JS&A) www.jsilny.com.
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) www.ece.org.
- Financial Statement
- Two letters of recommendation are required if applying to the Nursing program. Please have any letters of recommendation sent to help your admission application. These letters can be mailed, scanned or faxed to the Admissions Office. The recommender (or person writing the letter) must submit them to the Admissions Office on behalf of the student. The student cannot send their own copies of letters of recommendation.
English Language Proficiency
All students who are non-native English speakers or come from a country where English is not the official language will be required to provide proof of English proficiency. Please use the CIA World Fact Book website for verification if your country is considered English speaking. Students may take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to show proof of English Proficiency.
Minimum Score Requirements
- TOEFL: a minimum score of 550 for the paper-based test, 190-213 for the computer-based test, or 75-80 for the Internet-based test is required for admission to Alvernia University.
- IELTS: a minimum score of a 5.5 is required for admission to Alvernia University.
- If a student has had at least two consecutive years of education in an American high school or institution of higher education, the TOEFL requirement may be waived. A transcript from the American school should suffice for proof unless otherwise determined by the Admissions Office. SAT/ACT: Students who meet academic criteria are eligible to receive merit scholarships. For more details regarding merit scholarships please click here.