How to Apply:
Master of Science in Nursing
Along with your completed application accompanied by $50 non-refundable application fee, you’ll need to provide a few supporting materials. Because there’s lead time required for some items, here’s a step-by-step process that seems to work best for candidates:
- Complete your online or paper application. While you wait for your transcripts to be processed, you can begin your online application, which lets you build, edit and save sections of your application along the way. Or you can apply with our downloadable MSN application. We strongly recommend using either Firefox or Chrome browsers when completing the online application. Please note if you have already submitted your application, you can check the progress of your application by logging onto Alvernia’s Self-Service Center.
If you would like an application mailed to you, please email or call our
Graduate Coordinator at 1-888-ALVERNIA extension 6.
- Order your official transcript(s). Official transcript(s) indicating that the applicant has earned a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a ACEN or CCNE accredited program at a college or university. Also, the completion of an undergraduate statistics course and undergraduate research course with a grade of “C” or better is required. If not completed, the courses must be taken in conjunction with graduate courses at Alvernia University.
- Three references using specific recommendation forms. MSN applicants must obtain references using the specific reference form supplied with the admission packet or downloadable version. References are preferred from professional nurses with graduate degrees, but can also come from former professors, employers or supervisors. All forms must be placed in envelopes with a signature across the seal and forwarded to the Graduate and Continuing Studies Division at Alvernia University.
- Personal Statement. Applicants must submit a two-page entrance essay. Also note that applicants must follow specific guidelines for both the content and the format of the entrance essay. Guidelines are available here:
- Nursing Education Essay Guideline
- Nursing Leadership & Administration Essay Guideline
- Scores from a graduate entrance exam. Scores submitted from a graduate entrance exam such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) within the past five years. The GRE or MAT will be waived with a cumulative grade point average of at least a 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale and all other admission criteria is satisfactory. Also, this requirement will be waived for Alvernia College alumni, and other students who have earned bachelor’s degrees five years or more prior to submitting an application.
- Meeting with the MSN program coordinator or faculty member. After all the required application materials have been received, each applicant will be contacted to arrange for a personal meeting. The meeting will be conducted by the MSN program coordinator/faculty or a designated representative.
- Photocopy of applicant’s current Registered Nurse License