Fall 2015 Scholarships & Awards
The following scholarships are awarded to qualified first-year applicants:
- Shirley and Joseph Boscov Scholars Program
Awarding a $20,000 scholarship annually, the Shirley and Joseph Boscov Scholars program is the premier award for outstanding Berks County high school graduates attending Alvernia University majoring in the Arts, Education, Business, the Sciences of Health Care who thrive in the classroom and outside through volunteer and community involvement. Applicants must also have a minimum GPA of 3.5, a minimum 1130 SAT score (or 25 ACT) plus strong leadership and a record of community service involvement.
- Presidential Scholarship
To be awarded this $17,500 scholarship, the recipient must have a minimum of 1130 SAT* (or 25 ACT) and a minimum 3.5 GPA.
- Trustees' Scholarship
To be awarded this $15,500 scholarship, the recipient must have a minimum of 1050 SAT* (or 23 ACT) and a minimum 3.2 GPA.
- Veronica Founder's Scholarship
To be awarded this $15,000 scholarship, the recipient must have a minimum of 980 SAT* (or 21 ACT) and 3.0 GPA.
*SAT scores are calculated using combined critical reading and math scores. Students are eligible for only one merit scholarship.
The following are awarded to qualified first-year applicants based upon the student's high school. Partnership awards are given to students who enter Alvernia within one year of high school graduation. Students receiving merit scholarships (as listed above) are not eligible for Partnership Awards. Students are eligible for only one Partnership Award.
- PACE (Partners in Catholic Education)
This $5,000 award is given to students who graduate from a Catholic high school.
- Community Outreach Award
This $4,000 award is awarded to students who are a resident or a graduate of high school within the following Pennsylvania counties: Berks, Chester, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Montgomery, and Schuylkill.
- Allentown/Harrisburg Diocese Award:
Full-time employees of the Allentown Diocese or Harrisburg Diocese and their dependent children will receive a $1,000 non-need based award. A letter from the principal or superintendent verifying employment must be sent to the Office of Student Financial Planning to receive this award. Students may be eligible for additional funding from Alvernia.
- ROTC Scholarship:
Alvernia University is in collaboration with Lehigh University's ROTC program. Army ROTC scholarships are merit based and provide money for tuition, books and other expenses. Alvernia University provides free room and board for high school winners of three and four-year advance Tier I scholarship recipients.
- Sibling Award:
When two dependent siblings are enrolled full-time in the day academic division simultaneously, a tuition award of $1000 will be given to each sibling. Students may be eligible for additional funding from Alvernia. Both siblings are required to meet satisfactory academic progress to be eligible.
- Tuition Exchange:
Tuition exchange is available for students whose parents are employed by a higher education institution that participates in the Tuition Exchange Program. This discount covers up to 100% of tuition minus any federal, state, outside funding. Students are required to pay for all other expenses including but not limited to books, fees, room and board. Tuition exchange students attending the Alvernia are required to file a FAFSA. Contact the Human Resources Office for details.
Transfer Students (Non-International)
The following scholarships are given to qualified full-time undergraduate day students transferring from another institution of higher education who are working toward their first bachelor's degree:
- ARPA (Alvernia and RACC Partnership Agreement) Scholarship*
This $6,000 scholarship is given to students who transfer from Reading Area Community College under the dual-admissions program.
- ACT (Alvernia Connects with Transfers) Scholarship**
This $4,000 scholarship is given to transfer students who have 3.0 or higher grade point average.
- ARC (Alvernia/RACC Connection) Scholarship
This $2,000 scholarship is given to students who transfer from Reading Area Community College with a 3.0 or higher grade point average.
- Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship
This $1,000 scholarship is awarded to students holding current membership in Phi Theta Kappa.
*Students receiving the ARPA Scholarship are not eligible to receive the ACT or ARC, but are still eligible for the Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship.
**Students receiving the ACT Scholarship are also eligible to receive the ARC and/or Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships.
International Student Scholarship
Beginning in the fall of 2015, an annual $10,000 award will be offered to all full-time International Students entering Alvernia University as a transfer student in the Undergraduate Day program. The award is renewable up to four semesters for new transfer students enrolling in the fall of 2015.
Eligible students need to hold an F-1 Student Visa. Students must have met all admissions criteria and must confirm enrollment by May 1 for fall enrollment and by October 1 for spring enrollment. Confirmations of enrollment completed and received after these deadlines may be considered on a funds-available basis.
- must have an Associate's degree
- must hold an F-1 Student Visa
- TOEFL is waived if:
- Proper documentation is submitted
- Student is from an English-speaking country
- Student has at least two consecutive years of education in an American high school or institution of higher education. A transcript from the American school or institution should suffice as proof unless otherwise determined by the Admissions Office.
- Award is guaranteed for up for four (4) semesters for Associate's degreed transfer students
- Students must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate, degree-granting program on Alvernia's main campus. Students enrolled at other campuses are not eligible.
- Preference for awards will be given to students who transfer to Alvernia University from an affiliated community college (transferable in SEVIS without status violation)
The following donor scholarships are funded by outside donors and awarded to students on a competitive basis according to guidelines set by the donor.
• Allentown Diocese Bishop's Scholarship
• Alumni Book Scholarship
• Alumni Referral Scholarship
• Arcadia Foundation Scholarship
• Bernardine International Scholarship
• Carpe Diem Scholarship
• Endowment Award
• Shirley K. & Joseph L. Boscov Scholarship
• Corporate Scholarships
• First Union Scholarship Program
• Gloria M. Genuardi Scholarship
• T. Jerome & Carolyn Holleran Scholarship
• Stanley B. Lewandowski Scholarship
• Henry E. Miller Memorial Scholarship
• Hellen Makiewick Kubucki Scholarship
• Carole & Ray Neag Nursing Scholarship
• Guido Pichini Scholarship
• Roy Petrie Memorial Scholarship
• Frank J. Podczasy Scholarship
• Chris Schlager Scholarship
• President's Scholarship Ball Award
• Pennsylvania Governor for Women Award
• Sovereign Bank Scholarship
• Dr. Monica H.M. Shander Memorial Scholarship
• The Sister Edward Ann Memorial Scholarship
• The Sister Mary Gemma Memorial Scholarship
• The Sister Theresine Scholarship
• The Sister Mary Victorine Memorial Scholarship
• The Sister Mary Zygmunta Memorial Scholarship
• Social Work Award
• UPS Scholarship
• Joyce C. King Memorial Scholarship
• Judy and Mike Ehlerman Fund
• William Randolf Hearst Scholarship
• Robert Rehr Impink, MD Scholarship
• George Krasevac Scholarship
• Immaculate Heart of Mary
• George Coventry and Nita Schmidt Roughgarden Scholarship