Shirley and Joseph Boscov Scholars Program
The Shirley and Joseph Boscov Scholars program is the premier award for outstanding local high school graduates attending Alvernia University who thrive in the classroom as well as outside through volunteer and community involvement.
The scholarship has been established to help committed and hard working students realize their dream of a quality, private, higher education right here in Berks County.
Boscov Scholars are new students matriculating full time at Alvernia who are residents of Berks county and recent high school graduates (within one calendar year). In addition, candidates should also possess the following qualities:
- Demonstrate a solid record of high school achievement to be exemplified by a minimum 3.5 GPA and 1130 SAT/25 ACT, strong leadership and community service
- Express an interest in the following academic areas: The Arts, Business, Teacher Education, Health Care, or the Sciences
- Financial need as determined by the Office of Student Financial Planning
Qualified candidates must complete an application for admission to Alvernia University, as well as complete the online application for the Boscov Scholarship. To apply online, click here. Boscov applicants must also submit one letter of recommendation from someone who can attest to the applicant's commitment to community service and leadership qualities. Applications must be completed by December 15, 2013. The Scholarship Committee will then review all completed applications to determine a pool of finalists.
- Final candidates will receive a $15,000 award renewable for up to four years.
- Candidates invited to attend the Boscov Scholars Reception will receive a one time $1,500 Scholarship.
- Scholars will automatically be enrolled into the University Honors Program.
The scholarship is renewable as long as recipients maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average, continue be a full time student and engage in service to the University and the community.
For questions concerning the Shirley and Joseph Boscov Scholars Program, please call the Alvernia Admissions Office at (610) 796-8269 or email email@example.com.