Pre-Service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA)
ALL undergraduate students must complete and pass the Pre-Service Academic Performance Assessment before formal admittance to the Education program. These tests assess the candidate’s knowledge of reading, writing, and mathematics. Failure to successfully complete the Pre-Service Academic Performance Assessment may delay the candidate’s enrollment in upper level education coursework. Information and registration can be found at the Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests (PECT) website.
Information on this site includes:
- Full length practice test
- Study guide
- Test preparation video
- Financial Assistance Vouchers
- Guidelines for Requesting PECT Retake Vouchers
- Score report information
- Alternative testing arrangements
Please consult the table below for PAPA passing scores.
***Effective September 1, 2013 the Secretary of Education has established an alternative means for candidates seeking educator certification in Pennsylvania to meet the requirements set forth in 22 PA Code 49.18 Assessment. This requirement is currently satisfied when a student passes the “basic skills” assessment administered by Pearson, also referred to as the Pre-Service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA). Students may now meet the above-noted requirement of “basic skills” with either:
- A score of no less than 1550 on the
Scholastic Achievement Test (SAT)
- The SAT score of 1550 will include no individual section (Critical Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) score of less than 500.
- Students may not combine section scores from different test administrations, but they may use their best score earned from one test administration.
- A composite score of 23 on the
American College Test Plus Writing
- The composite score of 23 shall be accompanied by a combined English/Writing score of 22 and a math score of 21.
Students who meet either requirement shall be exempt from taking the PAPA exam. Those who do not much take and pass the PAPA examination.***
Important! Because test requirements and passing scores change, students are encouraged to contact Dr. Phyllis Miller in Upland Center 106 for current information.
Dr. Phyllis Miller
Education / Certification Coordinator
Upland Center, Room 104