Dr. Ana Ruiz
Professor of Psychology
- Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
Doctor of Philosophy, Developmental Psychology
- Federal University of Pernambuco, PE, Brazil
Master in Cognitive Psychology
- Catholic University of Pernambuco, PE, Brazil
Advanced Specialization in Language Pathology
- Catholic University of Pernambuco, PE, Brazil
Bachelor of Science, Speech Pathology
- Aspen Institute, Queenstown, MD
Fellow, Wye Faculty Seminar
Representative Courses Taught
- Introduction to Psychology
- Exploring Psychology
- Lifespan Development
- Multicultural Issues in Psychology
- Psychology of Gender
- Experimental Psychology
- Ruiz, A., Warchal, J., Chapdelaine, A., & Wells, C. (2011). International service-learning: Who benefits? In P. Lin (Ed.), Service-learning in higher education: National and international connections (pp. 13–25). Indianapolis, IN: University of Indianapolis Press.
- Di, Y., Warchal, J, & Ruiz, A. (2011). A review of ethics from Project Syllabus. Psychology Journal, 8(2), pp. 82-86.
- Wells, C., Warchal, J., Ruiz, A., & Chapdelaine, A. (2010). Ethical Issues in Research on International Service Learning In: R.G. Bringle, J. A. Hatcher, & S. G. Jones (Eds.). International service learning: Conceptual models and research (pp. 225-242). Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing: IUPUI Series on Service Learning Research 1.
- Ruiz, A. (2009). Ethics in the Introduction to Psychology Course. Observer. 22 (5). Available at: http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2009/may-june-09/ethics-in-the-introduction-to-psychology-course.html
- Chapdelaine, A., Ruiz, A., Warchal, J. & Wells, C. (2005). Service-Learning Code of Ethics. Boston, MA: Anker Publishing Co.
Recent Research Grants
- Activities Guide: Teaching Ethics in the Introduction to Psychology Course
- Instructional Resource Award from the Society for the Teaching of Psychology (APA division 2), 2011-2012
- Alvernia University Faculty Excellence Summer 2012
- Social Justice for Women by Women
- Alvernia University Faculty Excellence Fall 2011
- Long term impact of multiple undergraduate service option on alumni
- Alvernia University Faculty Excellence Summer 2010 and Spring 2011 grants
International Conference Presentations
- Ruiz, A., & Warchal, J. (2011, October). Long-term impact of service-learning on alumni volunteer service activities. Paper Session presented at the Fourth International Symposium on Service-Learning: Connecting the Global to the Local, Zhejiang, China.
- Warchal, J. Ruiz, A. Lin, P.L., Drnach, M. Wills, K., Marthakis, N., & Brosky, J.A. (2011). Reflections on Connections. Paper Session presented at Fourth International Symposium on Service-Learning: Connecting the Global to the Local. Zhejiang, China.
- Wells, C., Chapdelaine, A., Ruiz, A. & Warchal, J (2011). Evaluating the ethical and scientific integrity of international service-learning research. 11th Annual International Association for Research on Service-learning and Community Engagement (IARSLCE), Chicago, IL.
- Ruiz, A., Warchal, J., Wells, C., & Chapdelaine, A. (2009) International service-learning: Who benefits? Workshop presented at 3rd International Symposium on Service-Learning. Athens, Greece, November.
- Ruiz, A. Warchal, J. Wells, C, & Chapdelaine, A. (2006, May) Identifying and resolving ethical issues that emerge through civic engagement. Workshop presented at The University & Civil Society: Autonomy and responsibility conference. University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy.
- Ruiz, A. Warchal, J. Wells, C, & Chapdelaine, A. (2005, November) Recognizing and Resolving Ethical Challenges in the Practice of Service-Learning, Workshop presented at International Symposium Service-Learning – Models for the 21st Century: Intercommunity, Interdisciplinary, International, at Stellenbosch University, South Africa.
National Conference Presentations
- Ruiz, A.& Warchal, J. (2012). Teaching Ethics in the Introduction to psychology Course: An Activities Guide. Participant Idea Exchange at 34rd Annual National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology, St. Pete Beach, FL.
- Warchal, J. & Ruiz, A. (2012). The Changing Landscape of Undergraduate Psychology Practicum. Participant Idea Exchange at 34rd Annual National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology, St. Pete Beach, FL.
- Ruiz, A. Warchal, J. & You, D. (2011). Teaching Ethics to the Undergraduates: Should we do it? Participant Idea Exchange at 33rd Annual National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology, St. Pete Beach, FL.
- Warchal, J., Ruiz, A., Chapdelaine, A., & Wells, C. (2009) Crossing disciplinary boundaries to infuse ethical decision making throughout the service-learning curriculum. How administrators, faculty, and students benefit. Paper presented at AAC&U Conference: “Educating for Personal and Social Responsibility: Deepening Student and Campus Commitments,” Minneapolis, October.
- Wells, C., Chapdelaine, A., Ruiz, A. & Warchal, J (2009). Supporting Faculty in Service-Learning: The Administrator’s Role, Symposium presented at AAC&U: Shaping Faculty Roles in a Time of Change: Leadership for Student Learning, San Diego, California, April.
- Association for Psychological Science
- American Psychological Association
- Society for the Teaching of Psychology
- Psi Chi Honor Society in Psychology
- Pennsylvania Association for Gifted Education (PAGE)
- Mifflin Advocates for Gifted Students (M.A.G.S.)