Steps to Study Abroad
- Meet with our Study Abroad Office, to obtain the Alvernia Study Abroad Application, discuss program fees/costs, and review the application process. Weekly and monthly information sessions are held throughout the semester. Please contact the Director of Global Learning if you are unable to attend an information session so an individual appointment can be made.
- Select a program. Research and identify 7-8 potential courses you would like to take through the host institution (4-5 first choices and some alternates).
- Apply online at http://www.bcanet.org for the BCA programs, see Study Abroad Office for additional available programs.
- At the same time begin the Alvernia Application for Study Abroad.
- Important: You must be approved for study abroad by both Alvernia University and program providers.
- Meet with your Alvernia academic advisor to receive tentative approval for course selections, and to discuss a tentative plan of study at your host school.
- Your academic advisor, your department chair, and the University registrar all must sign both forms.
- (Seniors only) Determine need for waiver for final credits at Alvernia. If a waiver is needed, file a Senior Year Residence Waiver Form with the Alvernia registrar.
- Apply for a passport as soon as possible. Determine need for student visas – check with host program. Visas can take 2-3 months to be issued, so start early.
- Meet with the Alvernia Office of Student Financial Planning to create a financial aid plan for your study abroad semester.
- Your Alvernia University application is not complete until all forms and signatures are submitted.
Director of Global Learning
Office of Inclusive Engagement