The SFS Specialist is within a team of the first points of contact and are responsible for day-to-day office support providing superior customer service to a diverse population of students, parents, faculty, staff, and the public. The specialist assists both prospective and returning students with questions, paperwork, and requirements as they relate to financial aid, student accounts, receivables, and the Registrar. This individual will also support the office in performing operational activities, including data entry, updating and maintaining student aid and account information, receiving and processing forms and payments and posting transactions as well as prepare reports, letters, and other required correspondence.
All SFS specialists will assist in completing all activities necessary for accurate and federally compliant administration of student financial services and providing support and quality service to students, parents, faculty, and staff.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Provide excellent customer service and support to the Student Financial Services Office
- Assure consistent application of office policy & procedure
- Respond to questions, requests for financial aid, student account, and Registrar information in person, by phone & email
- Counsel current and prospective students and families regarding financial aid options
- Review and discuss student’s account, balance, payment plan with student & parent
- Respond to and provide support to Registrar’s Office and general academic questions
- Responsible for resolving routine student account, financial aid, and academic issues
- Process tuition and scholarship payments in a timely manner
- Monitor payment plans for on-time and accurate payments
- Monitor financial aid/student balance hold list each semester
- Assist students in completing financial aid paperwork including FAFSA, loan documents, state grant forms as well as assisting in the verification process both in-house and with Verification Gateway
- Responds to student account related questions regarding statements, payment options, deadlines, tuition rates and 1098T tax forms
- Performs student account audits to ensure all tuition and fees have been billed according to the student’s academic record and current tuition/fee rates
- Assist in the review and processing of financial aid refunds
- Collaborates with other departments and centers to communicate with students regarding balances, holds, prior to moving on/returning to campus and prior to semester registration
- Assists students with financial aid questions and missing paperwork at different stages of the process, explaining programs, application procedures, eligibility, requirements for missing information and using financial aid for purchase of books through the college bookstore
- Performs special projects as assigned by the director and/or associate directors
- Responsible for collecting and updating FERPA documentation in PFaids and master FERPA list
- Participate in registration and orientation events as requested
- Other duties as assigned
- The ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Accounting, finance, or business
- Experience in successful delivery and administration of financial aid, accounts receivable/payable
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Access
- Experience with PowerCampus, PFaids, Cashnet, Great Plains preferred
- Exhibit professionalism and strict confidentiality at all times
- Excellent customer service, organizational skills, and computer skills
- Willingness to learn a vast array of systems and websites for financial aid
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a team as well as individually
- Ability to multi-task and work in a challenging and demanding position
- Possession of a valid driver’s license, and ability to travel to off-site locations
- Ability and willingness to rotate work schedule between days and evenings and may occasionally be required to vary schedule or work past normal business hours to meet department requirements, including weekends
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
Contact: Human Resources
Posting Date: August 5, 2020