A Financial Services Counselor is a highly motivated professional who is responsible for maintaining knowledge base and of federal, state, University and institutional student aid funding as well as regulations and procedures, while providing professional assistance to students in an active, fast paced environment, working as part of a team as well as independently with little supervision. The Financial Services Counselor is responsible to advise and assist students with financial services and continuity to ensure compliance with federal/state regulations and procedures. Organizational skills as well as a demonstrated ability to protect confidential records and communications are a must, along with strong computer and software skills. Evening, weekend and some travel will be required for this position.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Providing administrative support to the Student Financial Services Office
- Assure consistent application of office policy & procedure
- Respond to questions, requests for financial aid information in person, by phone & email
- Counsel current and prospective students and families regarding financial aid options
- Assist with packaging students based on award eligibility
- Responsible for the financial aid process for students which includes verifying and monitoring student files via PowerFaids
- Represent the University on and off campus at recruitment events, financial aid information sessions, and open house events
- Educate students on budgeting, debt management, and alternative ways to manage expenses associated with a college education
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all activities in the Office of Student Financial Services
- Travel to off-site locations, training and conferences
- Participate in trainings and conferences including: PHEAA, PASFAA, EASFAA, NASFAA, etc.
- Attend on campus recruitment events, financial aid presentations, and open houses
- Responsible for awarding, monitoring, and reconciliation of all PHEAA state grant programs.
- Assist in the process of student ISIRs, History Corrections, COD originations & disbursements using EDconnect and responsible for managing and correcting rejected files
- Responsible for preparing appeals for committee review, assist Assistant Director in appeal decision communication, and manage monthly appeal statistics
- Educate students on budgeting, debt management, and alternative ways to manage expenses associated with a college education.
- Participate in trainings and conferences including: PHEAA, PASFAA, EASFAA, etc.
- Other duties as requested
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working in a financial aid office preferred
- Exhibit professionalism and strict confidentiality at all times
- Excellent customer service, organizational skills and computer skills
- Willingness to learn a vast array of systems and websites for financial aid
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a team as well as individually
- Ability to multi-task and work in a challenging and demanding position
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
- Ability and willingness to rotate work schedule between days and evenings
- Ability to work some weekend hours
- Possession of a valid driver’s license, and ability to travel to off-site locations
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
Contact: Human Resources
Posting Date: October 5, 2020