The Student Billing & Accounts Receivable Specialist assists in the planning and direction of all student accounts receivables and collections activities at Alvernia University. Assists the Assistant Director of Billing & Accounts Receivable in the management of all student account functions including student billing /tuition and fee assessment, cashiering, and timely request of student refunds. Monitors and manages delinquent collection balances, manages third party vendors and third-party billings, and is responsible for the disbursement of federal and state financial aid and scholarship programs through the requesting/returning of funds and account reconciliation. Responsible for ensuring high quality customer service, assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures, and maintaining regulatory compliance. The student accounts office is located within the Student Financial Planning Office. Extended hours and occasional evening and/or weekend work may be required.
Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Provide excellent customer service and support to the Student Financial Services Office
- Assure consistent application of office policy & procedure
- Respond to questions, requests for student account & billing information in person, by phone & email
- Review and discuss student’s account, balance, payment plan and other aid options with students & parents
- Responsible for the posting and reconciling of aid disbursements
- Assists Associate Director in the processing of and questions regarding statements, payment options, deadlines, tuition rates and 1098T tax forms
- Assists Associate Director in assessment of tuition and fees as well as publishing statements
- Responsible for posing Veteran student benefit payments, invoicing with Tungsten system and tuition assistance payments.
- Serve as the Student Accounts liaison for students, as well as parent and colleagues for billing & account questions utilizing the application of University payment policy under FERPA regulations. Provide in-depth customer service by researching and resolving inquiries over the phone, via email and/or in-person
- Process tuition payments, charges, adjustments, and fees in the student system in a timely manner
- Maintain online billing/payment process for online courses
- Process cash and check deposits (scholarship checks, 529 checks, etc.) for bank pickup
- Process and maintain Cash Net tuition payment plans accounts. Explain usage of monthly payment plan for budgeting assistance to families and verify payment plan is up to date
- Approve and process student refunds and adjustments in a timely manner. Provide training for students to setup how they will receive their refunds
- Collaborating with other departments and centers regarding to communicate with students regarding balances, holds, prior to moving on/returning to campus and prior to semester registration
- Assist Associate Director with invoicing of tuition to outside organizations
- Send outstanding balances to external collection agencies
- Responsible for resolving routine student account and financial aid issues
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or relate business degree preferred
- Three years of related experience in student accounts billing and/or accounts receivables required. Additional years of experience preferred
- Comprehensive knowledge of student payments systems; knowledge of accounting theory and practice
- Experience with PowerCampus, PFaids, Cashnet, Great Plains preferred
- Demonstrated skills with Microsoft Office, with experience in Excel and Access
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to analyze financial data and conduct research to resolve problems
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work independently, meet deadlines, and organize workload
- Effective oral and written communication skills in order to be able to explain issues related to student accounts
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse population in a professional manner
- Occasional evening, weekend, and extended work hours may be required
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- The ability to work some nights/weekends is required
- Ability to self-transport to various locations to perform essential functions
- Ability to lift up to 15 lbs
Contact: Human Resources
Posting Date: January 29, 2021