This position will essentially be assisting with all of the day-to-day operations of the science teaching laboratories in relation to laboratory prep and clean-up functions, supply management and some safety operations. The primary function will be for the management of the chemistry laboratory areas at the Reading campus. This position will also provide assistance to the biology area and engineering materials lab as needed. Travel will be required between the reading campus and the engineering labs at Reading CollegeTowne.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Coordinates the day to day operations of chemistry teaching laboratories as to equipment set-up/take-down and, preparation of solutions/materials for lab courses, via the coordination of a weekly lab meeting with faculty.
- Coordinates the general cleanliness, orderliness and care of chemistry laboratory areas and equipment/instrumentation.
- Maintains an accurate chemical and equipment supply inventory for their assigned area.
- Manage any hazardous or biological waste as necessary in conjunction with the director.
- Assist with departmental direct mail service deliveries and then reviews orders for completeness & placement into proper storage
- Prepares/submits order request for items as needed and coordinates with various scientific vendors for product inquiries, contracted services, and repairs in coordination with departmental budget
- Creation and maintenance of lab SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) for all processes and updated as appropriate
- Establish and maintain chemical/biological solutions, stains, etc.
- Assists the faculty with laboratory prep work
- Maintain “student lab safety agreements” for all science lab courses.
- Will have some oversight of student workers assigned to the department
- Perform general safety inspections as necessary
- Enters work orders as needed for lab maintenance requests
- Assists the director with any safety items as needed.
- Will assist with laboratory duties for biology labs at other campuses as needed, requiring travel to these locations
- Will act as a responsible party for certain duties and tasks in the absence of the Director.
- Performs any and all additional duties as assigned/requested.
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry or a related field.
- Must demonstrate a working knowledge of chemicals and standard laboratory equipment.
- Experience in academic laboratory preps for the physical sciences is preferred.
- Ability to communicate technical information to nontechnical audiences.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Publisher.
- Imperative to have strong organizational skills.
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds at times
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are required for travel between various Alvernia campuses.
Contact: Human Resources
Posting Date: June 7, 2021