The Director of International Student Services reports to the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Experience and works to ensure the university’s compliance with federal regulations governing the enrollment of international students.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Exchange visitors while managing a portfolio of immigration casework and advising international students, functioning as a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO), certified by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the US Department of State (DOS) respectively, utilizing the DHS Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), and requiring specialized knowledge and expertise for the interpretation and application of complex federal regulations and academic policies and procedures.
- Serve as an advocate to support the University and division's strategic diversity initiatives to create a welcoming campus for all students by incorporating multicultural perspectives with campus stakeholders to improve services and updated policies to enhance the experience for international students and faculty Oversee global engagement activities, including exchange program management
- Collaborates with faculty advisors for study abroad, promote and work with the university life team to implement programmatic activities that support international students and showcase the important role that internationalization plays in the university's education and mission.
- Represent the institution and collaborates with key constituent groups, both internally and externally.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Experience working with international students in a higher education setting for 3 -5 years.
- Demonstrated experience in intercultural competency within a diverse population.
- Experience in faculty, staff and student cultural competency training.
- Demonstrated proficiency using the US Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
- Eligibility for certification by DHS as a Designated School Official (DSO) and certification by the US Department of State as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO).
- Demonstrated experience interpreting and applying federal immigration laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning, interpreting, and disseminating highly technical information, regulations, and procedures.
- Fluency in a foreign language.
- Experience living or studying abroad.
- Master’s degree (or Bachelor’s degree and equivalent experience in lieu of a Master’s degree).
- Must be a US citizen or US lawful permanent resident.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver professional presentations.
- Experience in international student retention, student success and programming for international students.
- Demonstrated collaboration across academic disciplines, university offices and services to coordinate in and out of classroom success of international students.
- Strong interpersonal skills; a team player with strong work ethic.
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- Previous admissions experience.
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Occasional weekend work and travel to other campuses is necessary
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are required
Contact: Human Resources
Posting Date: September 9, 2021