The Director of Campus Ministry is responsible for promoting the vision of Alvernia University Campus Ministry by leading a diverse student body in examining their beliefs, engaging in inter-religious dialogue and experiencing the living Catholic Franciscan tradition of Alvernia University. To this end s/he will focus on: (1) leading a cohesive campus ministry team that produces diverse quality programming to meet the needs of all our students, (2) designing and implementing events that highlight our Franciscan mission and campus ministry pillars, (3) promote the enrichment of the spiritual lives of our students, with a special emphasis on vocation, (4) oversee our campus food pantry and support services for students, and (5) promote peace and social justice ideals as articulated by the principles of Catholic social teaching.
The minister must be a Catholic who is active in her/his faith and is competent working with persons of many cultures, ethnicities, and religious traditions. S/he must possess an understanding of the Catholic and Franciscan traditions of higher education have a minimum of five years of experience in Campus Ministry.
- Sees him/herself as a minister – one who walks humbly with others, who calls them to the fullness of life, who comforts and counsels those in need, and who cultivates authentic community.
- Equips, empowers, and integrates student leaders.
- Models respectful, collaborative and active support of the University’s Mission and of Catholic and Franciscan higher education through dedicated job performance and exemplary service to the University’s many constituencies.
- Leads the ministry team as it develops a complex ministry program which serves the undergraduate, graduate, faculty, and staff members of Alvernia University.
- Participates in, at least, yearly professional development (books, conferences, classes) and/or formation experiences (retreats, days of reflection).
- Participates in the liturgical and prayer life of the university community, in particular Sunday and All Campus Masses.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability. Specifically, as a director, support the execution of the Alvernia Advantage strategic plan with focus on delivering a student centric mission and values driven campus experience.
- Lead a cohesive campus ministry team (both pro staff and student leaders) that produce quality spiritual programming that meets the needs of a diverse student body. This includes training a new student leadership team that encourages growth within the mission and ministry office.
- With the campus ministry team, design and implement liturgical worship and rituals that highlight the Catholic, Franciscan mission of Alvernia University, especially the Franciscan emphases on peace and social justice, conscious of the “new normal” of ministry. This person will be responsible for coordinating the weekly liturgical life on campus.
- Promote the enrichment of the spiritual lives of our students on campus with special emphasis on vocational language. This enrichment takes shape through: small faith groups, retreat programming, Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, athletics, and Interfaith/Ecumenical communities.
- Oversee the on-campus food Pantry (Clare’s Cupboard) and Angels in the Attic, our resources closet for students.
- Coordinate peace and social justice programs on campus, through both our Alternative Breaks and on campus programming, grounded in Catholic Social teaching and our Franciscan mission
- Develop and implement programs, initiatives, plans, partnerships across campus that promote and educate faculty, staff and students on diversity, equity and inclusion as core values of the institution.
- Serve as a member of the DEI Team/council and give voice to emergent issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion within the University and local community, and nationally as it affects the University.
- Take part in implementing the strategic plan, especially initiatives 1 and 2.
- Participate in rotating on-call coverage for the university.
- Coordinate weddings for the university, in collaboration with the Bernardine Franciscan Sisters.
- Be on the Common Heart Interfaith Committee as Alvernia’s representative.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Mission and Ministry.
- Master's degree in an appropriate discipline and five (5) years of relevant experience or equivalent
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- Strong knowledge of and respect for the Catholic faith and teachings are required.
- Understanding of and commitment to Catholic, Franciscan spirituality; eager commitment to further development is essential.
- Expertise in Catholic campus ministry.
- Musical experience for liturgical worship preferred, but not required.
- Experience in the promotion of peace and social justice.
- Openness to all expressions of religious faith and skills in promoting spirituality.
- Expertise in promoting student involvement and mentoring student leadership.
- Leadership and supervisory experience.
- Creative, energetic, and imaginative, collaborative working style
- Willing and able to work flexible hours.
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job and may involve community meeting participation.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
A growing Catholic, Franciscan institution, Alvernia University is an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values and achieving excellence through diversity and inclusion. We offer comprehensive medical benefits, a retirement plan, tuition assistance, welcoming hospitality, and more.
Contact: Human Resources
Posting Date: July 15, 2020