Responsible for providing overall leadership and direction of accounting matters for the University, including ensuring financial reporting is accurate, timely, and compliant with accounting standards, overseeing audits, coordinating accounting matters with related entities, and ensuring compliance with federal and state regulations and laws.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Oversee and monitor the University’s financial condition and reporting requirements, including but not limited to, annual financial reports and other recurring and special reporting as needed to ensure that financial information is recorded and reported according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Governmental Accounting Standards Board Pronouncements, Financial Accounting Standards Board Accounting Standards Codification, federal and state regulations, such as Cost Accounting Standards and OMB Circular A-21, Cost Principles for Higher Education, and DOL and ERISSA guidelines (for payroll and 403(b)).
- Establish and maintain sound system of internal controls and segregation of duties.
- Implement and communicate accounting pronouncement changes.
- Implement proven “best practices” for Higher Education as applicable.
- Act as Director of the Budget, with responsibility for budget support, oversight and accountability.
- Serve as Head of the Accounting Department, which includes the direct supervision of the Assistant Controller and Payroll Specialist and indirect supervision of other staff in the accounting department.
- Oversee all financial and other audits for the University, including negotiation of findings with auditors and development of management responses to findings.
- Oversee the development and monitoring the University’s annual budget.
- Work with the President’s Cabinet to monitor budget results and variances.
- Administer and monitor the University’s financial policies and procedures for compliance with all federal, state, and regulatory requirements and communicate in a non-technical manner to campus leaders.
- Identify operational or financial performance issues through data analysis and exception – based management; work with department heads to resolve issues and/or implement changes.
- Manage the University’s Debt and Investment(s) with oversight/direction from the Vice President of Finance.
- With the Vice President of Finance, manage the University’s relationships with external financial associations, accounting firms, insurance brokers, banks, etc.
- Provide input on long-term financial planning for the University.
- Assist in special projects and initiatives at the direction of the Vice President for Finance and Administration.
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and CPA or a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field plus a Master’s of Accountancy (CPA preferred).
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in Accounting or Finance.
- Strong preference for experience in higher education and public accounting including at least five years in a leadership position with demonstrated ability to interact with and influence at all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Governmental Accounting Standards, Financial Accounting Standards Board Accounting Standards Codification, OMB Circulars A-21 and A-133 and SAS 112.
- Understand and advocate the use of technology to improve process and efficiency. Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and experience with Great Plains Accounting Software preferred.
- Ability to build consensus among cross-functional areas
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Ability to travel as requested or required with own transportation.
Contact: Human Resources
Posting Date: June 3, 2021