The Associate Vice President (Director) for Institutional Advancement (AVPIA) has three primary responsibilities: (1) planning and managing the day-to-day operations of the fundraising/development functions of Institutional Advancement; (2) planning and managing the University’s campaign-related efforts and functions and (3) leading the implementation and daily operations of the University’s comprehensive campaign. The AVPIA will also manage a selective group of prospects in his or her own portfolio.
The AVPIA will provide leadership and direction to a team of fundraising professionals and will be responsible for developing and implementing professional processes and practices in all areas under her/his responsibility. The AVPIA will also be responsible for providing ongoing team management, including goal setting (team and individual), performance evaluations, and professional development. Important responsibilities include working with the Vice President for Institutional Advancement in establishing annual plans and goals that include clearly defined metrics to measure success.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Responsible for leading and managing the development areas of Institutional Advancement, specifically major giving, planning giving and annual giving. The AVPIA will responsible for helping to set performance goals within these areas, to manage team member progress and to ensure successful achievement of goals.
- Responsible updating, maintaining, and ensuring compliance with development/fundraising policies.
- Manage a select group of major giving and/or planned giving prospects. He or she will be responsible for developing strategies for effectively cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding assigned prospects and completing call reports in the database.
- Lead in screening requests for fundraising assistance from other divisions, including student groups, on campus. The AVPIA will work with the VPIA to allocate Institutional Advancement assets for fundraising requests and priorities.
- Responsible for managing the university’s campaign efforts, including creating, implementing and managing the university’s campaign plan and related goals; creating implementing, updating and following campaign related polices; managing progress towards campaign goals; coordinating fundraising efforts, including between and among major giving, planned giving and annual giving; organizing prospect assignments and directing assignments for campaign related visits; coordinating campaign messaging and events.
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of development and/or management experience.
- Success as a development professional as evidenced by managing a portfolio and cultivating and soliciting major gift support.
- Experience in leading the operations of a comprehensive fundraising campaign.
- Experience in leading and motivating a team of development professionals is preferred.
- Excellent management, organizational and leadership skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with volunteers, including key stakeholders such as the Board of Trustees and President’s Advisory Council.
- Proven effectiveness in one-on-one qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
- Ability to build effective relationships with colleagues from across campus.
- Attendance is required to perform the duties of this job.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer may be required.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Willingness and ability to travel and work weekends and evenings.
- A valid driver's license is required.
Contact: Human Resources
Posting Date: January 19, 2021