Under the direction and supervision of the Senior Associate Director of Recruitment, the Admission Counselor will be responsible for all aspects of admissions recruitment cycle within an assigned geographic recruitment territory for first year, traditional students at Alvernia University. The Admissions Counselor is responsible for interpreting the mission of the University to external constituencies that includes prospective students, guidance and school counselors, parents/guardians, alumni and independent consultants. The Admissions Counselor is responsible for meeting recruitment goals within the assigned territory; participates in a wide variety of admissions functions to include travel, interviews, analysis and review of applications, interviewing, personalized follow-up, telemarketing and social media activities.
- Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
- Primary responsibility for reaching predetermined recruitment goals that include, but is not limited to, the critical responsibility of attracting students from assigned geographic areas by visiting high schools, community colleges, attending college nights and college fairs, and making formal presentations to groups of students and parents on and off campus.
- Plan and execute travel for recruitment purposes to include high school visits, college nights and college fairs. Meet with prospective students, parents, guidance counselors and other constituencies in order to communicate the message of the University.
- Coordinate and contribute to the success of various student visit programs designed to recruit targeted prospective applicants to the University.
- Plan and manage his/her personal recruitment territory, providing reports to the Vice President for Enrollment & Marketing.
- Perform telemarketing functions to assist in recruitment efforts.
- Expected to demonstrate discretion and diplomacy in working as part of a team to determine and influence the end result of the admission process, adhering to pre-specified student admission requirements.
- Interview and counsel prospective candidates for admission.
- Assess eligibility for admission to the University.
- Review transcripts, contact high school personnel for clarification of inconsistencies, explain admissions decisions and criteria to families, students and high school personnel.
- Review applications for admission to the University to determine admit/deny or referral to committee for further review; responsible for admitting students to the University or determining which student needs to be referred to committee for further review.
- Respond to all student, parent, guidance counselor inquires or requests regarding college admission requirements, programs and other related matters pertaining to application to the University. Assure that communications are accurate and timely.
- Determine when to correspond to students or refer to other constituencies on campus to include faculty, coaches, staff or current students.
- Assist with office operations where appropriate to include data entry of application decisions, telephone, and other administrative duties.
- Manage ongoing strategic communications with high school and independent counselors, including email, print, and other social media.
- Daily review of confidential application information.
- Responsible for increasing the visibility of the University with external customers and where deemed necessary by senior admissions administrative staff.
- Participate, prepare and support admission initiatives and events. This includes but is not limited to participation in all recruitment (i.e. Open Houses, Accepted Student Days) working weekend and evening hours as part of the staff rotation.
- Assist other University departments by participating in Orientation, Convocation, Commencement and other events as assigned.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Determination to meet recruitment goals.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Availability for overnight travel as required.
- Proficient in the usage of computer programs (Microsoft Office) and technology.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
- Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer may be required.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Evening and weekend availability on a regular basis.
- A valid driver's license is required.
Contact: Human Resources
Posting Date: June 16, 2021