Mary Ellen Symanski, PhD, RN
- BSN – University of Delaware
- MSN (Nursing of Children) – University of Maryland
- PhD (Nursing) – Wayne State University
Areas of Interest
- Family Child Nursing
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- Integration of Catholic Values in Nursing Education
- Higher Education Leadership and Policy
Representative Courses Taught
- NUR 309 – Nursing and Human Responses I (Family-Child Nursing)
- NUR 408 – Introduction to Nursing Research
- NUR 409 – Leadership and Ethical Dimensions of Nursing Practice
- NUR 560 – Policy and Curriculum
- NUR 632 – Evidence Based Clinical Practice
- Symanski, M. E. (2009). Teaching women’s health care to nursing students from a pro-life Catholic perspective. The AFCU Journal: A Franciscan Perspective on Higher Education, 6 (1), 66-76
- Symanski, M E., Hayes, M. & Akilesh, K. (2002). Patterns of sleep-wake states of premature infants before and after nursing interventions. JOGNN, The Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing, 31, 305-313.
- Symanski, M. E. (2000) A Nurse on Mars? Why Not? AJN, 100 (10), 57-61.
- Symanski, M. E., Newman, C., Bachynski, B. (1995). Treating congenital cataracts. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing, 19, 335-338. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing, 19, 335-338.
- 02/26/10 American Association of Colleges of Nursing Master’s Education Conference, “Clinical consultations: Developing evidence-based practice expertise in future nurse Educators,” New Orleans, LA, Co-presented with Ms. Michele Shuman
- 10/20/09 American Association of Colleges of Nursing Baccalaureate Education Conference, “Navigating the gray areas of student behavior issues,” Chicago, IL, Co-presented with Dr. Karen Thacker
- 9/24/09 National League for Nursing Education Summit 2009, “A System of support for high risk nursing students: lessons learned, “ (Poster), Philadelphia, PA, Co-presented with Dr. Karen Thacker.
- 6/17/08, Innovations in Faith Based Nursing Education Conference, Exploring Christian pro-life values in a maternal-child nursing course, (Poster), Indiana Wesleyan University, Marion, IN
- 3/27/08, Technologic Innovations in Nursing Education Conference (Drexel University), “A pediatric simulation experience blending technology and drama,” Co-presented with Susan Wahl, Hilton Head, SC
- 4/27/06, Alvernia University Nursing Honor Society. “Newborn stabilization and transport,” Reading, PA
- 11/13/05, Sigma Theta Tau International, 38th Biennial Convention, “Tracking neonatal transport care practices and outcomes using the Neonatal Transport and Triage Database,” Co-presented with Susan Cullen, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 6/22/01, American Holistic Nursing Society Annual Conference, “Using space nursing scenarios to develop critical thinking skills in nursing students,” (Poster) Huntsville, AL
Mary Ellen Symanski, Ph.D., RN
Associate Professor of Nursing
Francis Hall 407