Alvernia University’s Board of Trustees formally approved plans to build an innovative Recreation, Wellness and Health Sciences Complex (“The PLEX”), as the highlight of a new East Campus at the university’s Reading, Pa., location. This expansion is the largest, most ambitious in university history, adding more than 100,000 square feet of academic and recreation space and 15 acres to Alvernia’s campus.
The PLEX Academic Wing
• Specialized classroom space for the Doctorate of Physical Therapy and Athletic Training programs
• Interprofessional teaching and learning spaces for Nursing, Occupational Therapy, and other programs
• State-of-the-art lab space for the health sciences
• Significant flexible, general use classroom space
• Dedicated office space for Faculty
The PLEX Fieldhouse
• Four multi-purpose indoor courts for campus community use—tennis, soccer, basketball. Regional community residents will also have access during designated times.
• Six-lane NCAA-compliant indoor track for student use and varsity competition. Regional community residents will also have access during designated times.
• Indoor practice space for varsity baseball, basketball, cross country, lacrosse, soccer, softball, track and field, tennis, and volleyball
• Significant locker room facilities
• Large weight room
• Athletic Training room for the Sports Medicine Program, supporting varsity athletics
• Coaches offices