How to Apply:
Graduate Dual Program: Special Education Teaching Certification (Grades Pre K-8 and 7-12) with M.Ed.
Along with your completed application accompanied by $50 non-refundable application fee, you’ll need to provide a few supporting materials. Because there’s lead time required for some items, here’s a step-by-step process that seems to work best for candidates:
- Complete your online application. While you wait for your transcripts to be processed, you can begin your online application, which lets you build, edit and save sections of your application along the way.
- Order your official transcript(s). Official transcript(s) indicating that the applicant has earned an appropriate baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. Submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions where coursework was attempted. Also, the following undergraduate credit hours are required for acceptance:
- Six (6) semester credit hours (or the equivalent) of undergraduate mathematics
- Six (6) semester credit hours (or the equivalent) of undergraduate English
composition and British or American literature
The above credit hours must be completed prior to acceptance.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters are accepted from former professors, employers, or supervisors familiar with the applicant’s professional experiences, or from religious or community leaders.
- Personal Statement. One-page personal statement that summarizes the value of the program of graduate study for his/her personal and professional growth and development.
- Scores from Praxis Series. Students must pass the Praxis Core Battery Tests in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics (Praxis I). Students enrolling in the Secondary Certification Program must pass the Praxis II Test in their content area.
- Additional Evidence of potential for success. Items such as academic or professional awards, special certifications, samples of scholarly or creative work, and completion of specialized examinations. (not required, but encouraged)