DNP Completion Program in Clinical or Health Systems Leadership
A second pathway into the DNP is designed for master’s-prepared nurses who are seeking a doctorate in Clinical or Health Systems Leadership. This pathway requires 35 credits of coursework and 1,000 hours of clinical experience, with the goal of meeting AACN DNP Essentials and NONPF guidelines for DNP Nurse Practitioner Education.
Curriculum (35 Credits)
The Post-Master's DNP Program offers a combination of theory courses and practice experiences. Nurses who are licensed APRNs may choose the track in Clinical Leadership while those with a master's degree in other areas of nursing such as education or administration may pursue the track in Health Systems Leadership. Students are involved in experiences that can encompass patient encounters, collaborative projects, policy development initiatives, or system-wide policy changes. Guiding the practice experience are professionals who have an expertise in clinical practice, leadership, policy, law, ethics, program development or health economics.
Courses offered are primarily online-distance friendly to meet the needs of distance education students. Periodically required intensive courses are delivered on-campus at the Reading, PA location for a specified number of weekend day(s) with additional online coursework following the intensive session. This on-campus residency experience provides an opportunity for meaningful engagement and in-depth learning experiences with experts from nursing, as well as other disciplines.
Practice Leadership (16 Credits)
- NUR 700: Immersion to the DNP Program*
- NUR 701: Theoretical Foundations of DNP*
- NUR 702: Ethics, Policy, and Advocacy in the Health Care System
- NUR 703: Using Informatics for Quality Improvement
- NUR 704: Local and Global Population Based Health
- NUR 705: Leadership in Organizations and Healthcare Systems*
Leadership Practicum (4 Credits)
- NUR 800: DNP Leadership Practicum I
- NUR 801: DNP Leadership Practicum II
Evidence-Based Scholarly and Practice Inquiry (15 Credits)
- NUR 802: Applied Statistics for Evidence-Based Practice
- NUR 803: Translational Research
- NUR 804: Evidence-Based Scholarly and Practice Inquiry I *
- NUR 805: Evidence-Based Scholarly and Practice Inquiry II *
- NUR 806: Evidence-Based Scholarly and Practice Inquiry III
* Intensive course format.
Alvernia University is in the process of applying for initial accreditation for its DNP Program through the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). For further information about the accreditation of DNP Programs, please contact the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001. www.ccneaccreditation.org
LEARN MORE ...