About the Math Placement
The 60-minute math assessment consists of problems in pre-algebra and algebra. Pre-algebra operations include basic operations with fractions and decimals, exponents, square roots, scientific notation, ratios and proportions, averages (means, media, and mode), percentages, and absolute values. Algebra operations include algebraic equations, polynomials, factoring polynomials, linear equations, exponents and radicals, and graphing on a plane. Brush up on these types of problems BEFORE you begin the exam.
Carefully read each of the following statements regarding the Math Assessment:
- Regardless of their major, all students are required to complete at least one mathematics course in order to graduate from Alvernia University.
- No student will be exempt from fulfilling this requirement based on results of this placement assessment.
- The sole purpose of the Math Placement Test is to accurately determine your level of math proficiency at the time of entry to Alvernia. To determine the correct course placement, Alvernia needs to determine what you know and what you do not yet know.
- Students are expected to complete the test on their own, without assistance from another individual or web resource of any kind. The result of seeking assistance is that students will be required by the test results and subsequent placement to take a math course for which they are not prepared; this action may likely lead to failing a course.
- Students may use a calculator and any notes they have.
If you are requesting ADA accommodations for your placement evaluations, DO NOT use the links below. Contact Disability Services Office to submit required documentation and request an alternate assessment that meets your reasonable accommodations.
- Sign into the test with the login provided to you in the Next Steps For New Alvernia Students you received in the mail. You will have 60 minutes from the time you begin the test to submit your completed test.
- You cannot restart the test, so be sure you are ready before you log in.
- If you cannot find your log in, please contact us at 610-796-8266.
- Have scrap paper, pencils, and a calculator ready.
- Read the questions carefully.
- Select your response from the answers provided.
- You may change an answer at any time by selecting a new answer.
- If you experience difficulties during the test, please call 610-796-8266 between 8am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday.