First Year Seminar Instructors & Peer Mentors
Fall 2015 FYS Instructors
Our First Year Seminar instructors are a dedicated group of talented individuals who are committed to helping freshmen succeed during their first year of college. Instructors include both faculty and staff who come from a wide range of disciplines. Through the FYS curriculum, your FYS instructor will help you transition from the comfort of high school to the rigors of academia, as well as serve as your academic advisor for your entire freshmen year.
Fall 2016 Instructors:
Every First Year Seminar is assigned a peer mentor, an upper-division student who acts as a guide and resource for students as they adjust to college life and academic expectations. Each mentor establishes his or her unique relationship with students in their section, but all students can expect peer mentors to model successful time management techniques, help them learn how to find and use information about student support services, and guide them toward informed decision making.
- Attend every First Year Seminar class meeting
- Attend preparation sessions with instructor
- Attend summer training sessions and semester meetings with Assistant Coordinator, First Year Experience
- Maintain email list of all students in class and maintain email contact with students
- Present information to students on upcoming activities
- Monitor students' attendance at required campus events
- Be available to students at least one hour/week outside of class
- Perform duties as assigned by instructor
Fall 2016 Peer Mentors"
- Students must be at least in the sophomore year
- Students must have a GPA of 3.2 or above
- Students must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Students must demonstrate a record of campus involvement and/or community service
Benefits of becoming a Peer Mentor:
- The opportunity to develop and exercise leadership
- The opportunity to develop the key communication skills sought by employers
- The opportunity to demonstrate a proven record of job responsibility to potential employers
- The opportunity to make a valuable contribution to the Alvernia community
- The opportunity to meet other outstanding Alvernia students and make new friends
For more information on becoming a Peer Mentor, visit the Alvernia Opportunities for Leadership (AOL) page by clicking the logo below.