Steps to Study Abroad
- Meet with our Study Abroad Office, to obtain the Alvernia Study Abroad Application, discuss program fees/costs, and review the application process.
- Select a program. Research and identify 7-8 potential courses you would like to take through the host institution (4-5 first choices and some alternates).
- Apply online at http://www.bcanet.org for the BCA programs, see Study Abroad Office for additional available programs.
- At the same time begin the Alvernia Application for Study Abroad.
- Important: You must be approved for study abroad by both Alvernia University and program providers.
- Meet with your Alvernia academic advisor to receive tentative approval for course selections, and to discuss a tentative plan of study at your host school.
- Submit to the Study Abroad Office a signed Study Abroad Course Approval Form, listing each course you plan to take.
- Your academic advisor, your department chair, and the University registrar all must sign both forms.
- (Seniors only) Determine need for waiver for final credits at Alvernia. If a waiver is needed, file a Senior Year Residence Waiver Form with the Alvernia registrar.
- Apply for a passport as soon as possible. Determine need for student visas – check with host program. Visas can take 2-3 months to be issued, so start early.
- Meet with the Alvernia Office of Student Financial Planning to create a financial aid plan for your study abroad semester.
- Your Alvernia University application is not complete until all forms and signatures are submitted.
Study Abroad Office