What can I do with a major in Biology?
The program of specialization in biology aims to develop in students an appreciation for and knowledge of the fundamental biological principles and skills of biological techniques used in teaching on the secondary level, graduate study, biological research, medical technology, and in professional schools of medicine, dentistry, and veterinary medicine.
Strategies• Enhance research laboratory skills
• Work in a nursery or greenhouse
• Look into federal and state job application process
• Acquire broad knowledge base in all sciences and computer technology
• Become certified for public school teaching
• Consider learning a foreign language for international opportunities
• Develop strong foundation in mathematics
• Obtain internship in field
• Volunteer at a zoo
• Lead a scouting troop
• Work for a biology professor in research laboratory
• Join an environmental concern group
• Work in a greenhouse or garden
• Enhance computer skills
• Work in a lab
• Remain open to the possibility of graduate education*
* Graduate degrees widen the spectrum of job opportunities in the field of biological sciences as they prepare students with more technological information and build stronger expertise in a specialty area.
Science Laboratory Technician
Science Writer/Film Maker
State Parks & Recreation
Test and Inspection Technician
Water Quality Tech
Wildlife Resources Zoologist
Professional OrganizationsPennsylvania Academy of Sciences
Human Anatomy & Physiology Society
251 S.L. White Blvd.
P.O. Box 2945
LaGrange, GA 30241-2945
Web sitesCareer Information Sites
Biology Job Resources
Advice and links for searching for careers in biology
Biological and Medical Scientists Occupational Outlook Handbook, U.S. Dept of Labor
Nature of work, job outlooks, job descriptions (all for biological and medical scientists)
Careers in Biology
General website listing and linking to possible careers in biology
Job Search Sites
Career planning information and advice, job hunt advice for biology students
Company information and daily industry news, biotechnology & pharmaceutical employment site, job listings
New Science Jobs
Seaworld Career Information
Information regarding pursuing a career in marine science
Science Careers and job hunting
Job search options for students seeking careers in science; provides profiles on potential employers
Orion Grassroots Network Internship
Links to possible internships in conservation, environmental justice, restoration, and education. Search by state and by internship category.
Director of Career Development
Career Development Office:
400 St. Bernadine St.
Bernardine Hall, Suite 103
Reading, PA 19607
Monday - Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Evening hours by appointment.