About the Writing Placement
Alvernia’s Writing Placement Assessment evaluates your ability to read, understand, and respond to a college-level text of the kind you will encounter in your Alvernia courses. Your test will be evaluated based on how well you comprehend the major issues addressed in the essay and your ability to use evidence from the essay to support statements you make and to sustain focus. Demonstrated proficiency in grammar and punctuation will also be used to determine placement.
Carefully read each of the following statements regarding the Writing Assessment:
- Regardless of their major, all students are required to complete COM 101: Composition and Research in order to graduate from Alvernia University.
- No student will be exempt from fulfilling this requirement based on results of this assessment.
- The sole purpose of the Writing Assessment is to accurately determine your level of writing and reading proficiency at the time of entry to Alvernia. To determine the correct course placement, Alvernia needs to determine what you know and what you do not yet know.
- Students are expected to write the essay response on their own, without assistance from another individual or web resource of any kind. The result of seeking assistance is that students will be required by the test results and subsequent placement to take a math course for which they are not prepared; this action may likely lead to failing a course.
If you are requesting ADA accommodations for your placement evaluations, DO NOT use the links below. Contact Disability Services Office to submit required documentation and request an alternate assessment that meets your reasonable accommodations.
- You should have received an essay with the Next Steps For New Alvernia Students. Please be sure to read and annotate this essay before signing in to take the assessment.
- Have your annotated essay with you when you take the assessment and should freely consult your notes
- Sign into the test with the login provided to you in the Next Steps For New Alvernia Students you received in the mail. You will have 60 minutes from the time you begin the test to submit your completed test.
- You cannot restart the test, so be sure you are ready before you log in.
- If you cannot find your log in, please contact us at 610-796-8266.
- Read the prompt carefully.
- Type your essay response directly into the box provided or type it in word processing software and paste it in. Submit when you have finished.
- If you experience difficulties during the assessment, please call 610-796-8266 between 8am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday.